Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

router issues

Old 01-02-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

router issues

I have a netgear MR814v2 wireless router that was connected to my roommates pc directly, and I was grabbing wireless off it with my laptop. We were able to go into the router settings via the web client with no problems from both machines. He left the apartment last month and I wanted to connect a new desktop machine I had gotten directly to the router.

This was no problem, I get internet and everything, but now I can't log into the web client to change router settings (ports and etc). I swear I am entering the right password, and I've even attempted to reset the router to its default settings and login using the default password. Nothing works.

Anyone know what might have happened? Does the router not like his machine being gone and being replaced by mine? I'll get a new router if I have to, but I have that nagging feeling there is something small I'm missing.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 01-03-06, 07:12 AM
Admin-Thanos

There's usually a pinhole that you can use a pin to reset the router. Have you tried this? How long you need to hold the pin in the button I don't know, probably 10 seconds, but I'd check the router documentation (if you still have it )
Old 01-03-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100651.asp

Have you tried user name "admin" and password "password" or "1234" after resetting? You may want to go through the steps again, I have this same router and have reset the password this way before.

Write down any configuration information such as IP addresses, security keys, opened ports and services, etc., that you have modified. (The default username is admin and the password is either password or 1234. Try these before resetting the router.)

Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
Wait for the router to reboot, then try logging in with the default password.
If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.

Unplug the router's power.
Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.
Wait for the router to reboot.
Old 01-04-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately I had tried both of those options previously. The appears to reset, but none of the default passwords work to login with. I'm wondering if its just not resetting correctly.