Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

recommend a good all in one printer?

Old 01-01-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

recommend a good all in one printer?

I want to get a printer so I can print out my photos from my digital camera. I would like it to be able to do 5x7 or even 8x10 prints if possible. I would also like to be able to use it as a plain old printer for printing out rebates and such. another thing that would be great is if it had xD picture card support. I would prefer the cost of the printer to be affordable(say around 200.00 or so) but would be willing to pay more if ink turns out to be cheaper in the long run.

one thing I was wondering about is dpi. what is a good dpi for printing photos from a digital camera in the 4MP to 6MP range?
Old 01-01-06, 11:23 PM

I've been happy with my Epson RX500. Makes really great 8x10 prints, but kind of slow on borderless prints. I usually try to print at 300 dpi with glossy photo paper.
Old 01-02-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the Epson CX6600 for a all reasons you stated (except it's mostly used for 4x6 prints) including a built in XD card reader. It looks like this model is no longer being made, but they have new ones that are similar.
Old 01-02-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How's the ink prices for that Epson? I have actually stopped all photo printing due to the prices of Lexmark ink. I now use that Walgreen's service for 19 cents a print (4x6).
Old 01-02-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The ink prices are better than Lexmark or HP, but I don't know if it would be cheaper than .19 per print including paper. I recently tried some 3rd paryt ink (Swiftink) because it was much cheaper, but the quality was horrible. The colors were off and the black dries up within 24 hours if nothing is printed.