Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to Re-Install Audio Card?

Old 12-31-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How to Re-Install Audio Card?

I had to reboot my computer which caused me to lose my video and audio cards or something. I had a friend reload my video card but I didn't tell him about the audio. Does anyone know how I go about doing this?
Old 01-01-06, 01:34 AM

It sounds like you just need to find and install the drivers to your audio card.
Old 01-02-06, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by BenboC
It sounds like you just need to find and install the drivers to your audio card.
How do I do that though?
Old 01-02-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it's a soundblaster audigy, you must find the original CD. SB does not make any core driver packages available on the web - only upgrade drivers. It's an enormous pain in the ass.
Old 01-02-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigPete
If it's a soundblaster audigy, you must find the original CD. SB does not make any core driver packages available on the web - only upgrade drivers. It's an enormous pain in the ass.
Sure they do, I just downloaded drivers from their site last night. It's all under the customer service -> downloads section. You are right though, they have a ton of updates available and it is kind of a pain in the ass to look through those to get what you want.
Old 01-02-06, 10:13 PM

So how do I find out what kind of audio driver I have and how to re-install it?
Old 01-03-06, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Monkees: Go to the web site of your audio card's manufacturer.
Old 01-04-06, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Monkees: Go to the web site of your audio card's manufacturer.
How do I find out what type of audio card I have?
Old 01-04-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Monkees
How do I find out what type of audio card I have?
I know there's some BIOS-based programs that will tell you.

If your sound card is "on board" meaning it is part of your motherboard, on the back of your PC, the audio slots will be near where your keyboard, mouse, and USB slots are.

If your sound card is a separate card, your audio connections go to one of the horizontal rows of "slots" that may be near the bottom of your computer case. This is, for example, where a wireless network card might be.

Go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System (or right click on My Computer > Properties). You'll see the System Properties window. Click on the Hardware tab and then go to Device Manager. What is under Sound, video, and game controllers?

I'm sorry but my ability to help with hardware problems is limited if I'm not on site.
Old 01-04-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Download and install this free program called Lavalys Everest Home Edition.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Open it up and left click multimedia. Then click PCI/PnP Audio. That should tell you what audio card you have. If you have onboard audio with your mobo, it will more than likely be a Realtek. Then you can google a set of drivers.

By the way, if it's onboard audio, your drivers should be on your mobo CD. Download and install drivers and make sure your onboard audio is enable in your BIOS.

If your PC is a Dell or Compaq, then you'd need to call them. But I'd guess if you have a premanufactured computer, you probably have a Turtle Beach soundcard. But I can be completely sure.
Old 01-13-06, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I know there's some BIOS-based programs that will tell you.

If your sound card is "on board" meaning it is part of your motherboard, on the back of your PC, the audio slots will be near where your keyboard, mouse, and USB slots are.

If your sound card is a separate card, your audio connections go to one of the horizontal rows of "slots" that may be near the bottom of your computer case. This is, for example, where a wireless network card might be.

Go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System (or right click on My Computer > Properties). You'll see the System Properties window. Click on the Hardware tab and then go to Device Manager. What is under Sound, video, and game controllers?

I'm sorry but my ability to help with hardware problems is limited if I'm not on site.
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs
Old 01-18-06, 02:55 PM

What kind of motherboard do you have? When you first turn on the computer and it's booting up, does it give a motherboard manufacturer and model number? It might show up if you poke around in BIOS. There should be a message in the bootup screen to press a key (usually F# or DEL) to enter it. If you accidentally change some stuff in BIOS, just make sure not to "save changes" when you exit. If your system uses onboard sound, you can get the drivers once you find out which motherboard you have.