Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

video card for DVI input to HDTV

Old 12-31-05, 02:02 PM

video card for DVI input to HDTV

I have a Dell Optiplex and thought it could be used to connect to the HDTV's DVI input. I would definitely need a new video card. What should I look into for this?

-I will not be playing any games at all.
-Mostly, the computer will be used for watching videos and playing music through winamp.
-Some internet browsing
-I'd like to have something that would give me a decent resolution on the screen

Can this be done at/around $50?
Old 01-01-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're not playing games, this MSI 6200TC should work fine for you. It's fanless so it should save you a little noise if you have the comp next to your HDTV.
Old 01-01-06, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I forgot to mention it needs to be AGP. IS there an equivalent model for this?
Old 01-01-06, 02:29 PM
X
Administrator

I don't know much about this card, but here's a cheap AGP DVI card.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...&cpc=SCH&srm=0

Sometimes they have a Radeon 9600 for around $40-50 which would be a very good card for your purposes.
Old 01-01-06, 03:42 PM

You definatly want to get a direct x 9 class card. That means Radeon 9500 and above or a Geforce 6 or 7 series. You could get an AGP GF 6200 card for cheap (OEM ~ $80 here in Canada). For your purposes you don't need a powerhouse card, but having a DX9 card would give you full support for VMR9 rendering for video playback. Much better versatility for dual monitor systems and better overall PQ for DVD's.
Old 01-02-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got this one not too long ago, and I've been happy with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125217

It's similar to matome's suggestion (and is fanless which I like), but it's AGP. VMR9 works fine with it.
Old 01-03-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry about the AGP thing, I had just quickly looked up the OPtiplex on the Dell site and assumed they were all PCIx16. THe above menioned cards should work great as well. I also have a machine with an AGP 9600 Radeon and it's
Old 01-12-06, 05:17 PM
X
Administrator

Grab it quick while it's available...

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...I9600XT-128M-D

10% off coupon: COUPONCABIN
Old 02-10-06, 04:50 PM

Is it going to be a problem that the HDTV doesn't have those 4 extra pins?

The port on the back of the TV just has the "-" and not ":-:"

Will the DVI connection still give me a good picture on the TV, or will I need to go another route? (X, that one is available now...I didn't check this thread for about a month now. How much was it on 1/12?)
Old 02-10-06, 06:15 PM
X
Administrator

The extra pins are for a DVI-I cable that also carries VGA. You don't need the VGA pins.

The card was probably the same price. $63 - 10% is a very good price for a 9600XT. They say there's only one left.

DVI will probably give you a very good picture. If your HDTV is a fixed pixel type device (LCD, DLP, plasma) it will be as good as you can get. If it's CRT it probably doesn't matter much.
Old 02-10-06, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by X
The extra pins are for a DVI-I cable that also carries VGA. You don't need the VGA pins.

The card was probably the same price. $63 - 10% is a very good price for a 9600XT. They say there's only one left.

DVI will probably give you a very good picture. If your HDTV is a fixed pixel type device (LCD, DLP, plasma) it will be as good as you can get. If it's CRT it probably doesn't matter much.
Interesting. So since this is just a regular rear projection HDTV, would I get a similar picture using S-Video instead?
Old 02-10-06, 06:57 PM
X
Administrator

"Regular" doesn't say much. It's the underlying technology (digital display device such as LCD/DLP or analog display device such as CRT) that would make a difference with DVI.

S-Video would look like crap. I've tried it.