Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem record sound from DVD-ROM

Old 12-29-05, 11:37 PM

Problem record sound from DVD-ROM

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me....

What I want to do is record sound from a DVD-ROM.

In the past I was able to do. What I did was using ULead DVD Player to play the DVD, then use Wave Editor (comes standard with Nero) and just press record to record the sound (say from a music DVD - to create a sound file and convert to MP3 for listening later on). Everything worked fine. This was about 6 months ago.

Recently, I am not sure what have I done, maybe I have upgraded the video card (to the new GP8 type I think) and installed Service Pack 2??? Not sure. But what happened now is I can still play the DVD. The music still comes out on the speaker, but when I use the Wave Editor to record, it does not record anything, just silence. I tried the Windows Voice Recorder and the same thing happened.

What I have investigated and found is the sound still comes even though I disconnect the analog sound cable from the DVD-ROM to the CD-In on the built-in soundcard on the motherboard. What this means is the sound is decoded and transferred from the DVD-ROM to the motherboard via the IDE ATA cable! This is weird.

But now I think this is b/c the video card or the motherboard or whatever is using hardware decoder??? I am not sure!!!

I think what I have to do is some how make the sound come from the DVD-ROM via the standard analog calbe (4 wire small cable red black black white cable) to the sound card (CD-in) on the motherboard, rather than using the digital (or whatever) via the IDE ATA cable. I have been searching in the past few days and can not find a way to change this setting. I hope someone can help me or I will got nuts......

Many thanks and have a safe and happy new year!!!

Thuan