Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone have any of the new GPS units?

Old 12-29-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone have any of the new GPS units?

I've been looking at some of the new GPS' like Magellan, Garmin, Tom Tom. Was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge or experience with them. I've used one on a laptop, that wasn't too bad but tough to use alone because of the size. I've seen a couple built in units in a Honda and a Nissan. The Honda had touch screen and seemed pretty good, I don't know who makes that. The Nissan was horrible. Couldn't add addresses while moving, and no touch screen.
Old 12-31-05, 02:24 AM

The Honda ones are made by Alpine if I'm not mistaken. I was going to spring for the navigation system on the Civic, but I couldn't stand the wait, with the delivery date getting pushed further and further back. I have only heard good things about the Honda navigation systems though.

I was using TomTom Navigator for my Tungsten T|3 and when I couldn't get the Civic with Navigation system, I purchased the TomTom 700. It works well, plus the built-in Bluetooth allows me to use it as my handsfree unit with my Bluetooth phones and TomTom Weather (free, only data charges on your cell phone plan) and TomTom Traffic (current promo is free for a year) is nice.

The maps on the TomTom 700 aren't as updated as I would have liked, but you're going to run into the same problem with any navigation system. TomTom does allow you to download an updated map (for a price) when it's available. While it'll get you to your destination, you have to question some of the routes it plans at times. Good thing re-calculating routes is fast. There are a few bugs that hopefully a software update will fix. The map can show a strett as one way <-----, but the route completely ignores it. I've only ran into this once, but it shows that while a navigation is nice, you still need to pay attention to the roads and signs.

I'm satisfied with my TomTom 700, but if I could have gotten the navigation system for my Civic, I would have gone that route. My advice is to look at these units at your local Circuit City, Best Buy, Tweeter, etc., but to purchase it online. The TomTom 700 is about $200 less on newegg.com than it is at the stores, and you won't have to pay tax in most states.
Old 12-31-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the navigation system in my Accord. The system is made by Alpine. Costs $185 for the update DVD. If you go with Garmin, they charge $150 for the update when it's available (normally, every 18 months). I may be chinese but I do not have an accent. With that saying, the voice recognition suck ass. I tried some of the standard commands but the system is too stupid to understand it or does something completely different. I don't really hate the Honda navigation but there are a few of things I like in my 4 year old Garmin StreetPilot III over the Honda.

- Less glare against sunlight for the Garmin. The Honda is complete washout in a bright afternoon if I do not cover up my sunroof
- I can save my current position into the address book/waypoint in the Garmin. I looked all over the manual and system for this feature, can't find it in the Honda.
- The Garmin is portable. I can bring it with me to any car and it can run on battery
- Software and firmware updates are more frequent and it's either free or cheaper from Garmin
Old 12-31-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=447516
Old 01-01-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
I did do a search but I searched GPS, not brand names. I should have tried that.

I picked up the Garmin 2720. It works great right out of the box. Best Buy had it for $899 but price matched Amazon.com $779 price. I had to pay tax but didn't pay shipping and had that immediate satisfaction. I already entered a bunch of favorite addresses. Now comes the tough part, talking my boss into reimbursing me. All the driving I do is company related, but he seems to think $1600 for his GPS option in his truck is money well spent but I need to trim my expenses.