Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

ipod video review

Old 12-29-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ipod video review?

the other ipod is getting very crowded.. just curious what your review of the video ipod is after having it for a month or two?? recommend it? video screen big enough to enjoy it? battery drain horrible?

Last edited by j123vt_99; 12-29-05 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 10:37 PM

do you already own an ipod?

video screen is large enough for what it is, as long as you can accept its going to be small your not going to be dissapointed.

battery life is dissapointing. I don't watch video but still wish they could make the battery last longer.

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
the other ipod is getting very crowded.. just curious what your review of the video ipod is after having it for a month or two?? recommend it? video screen big enough to enjoy it? battery drain horrible?
Old 12-29-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrJeff
do you already own an ipod?
I think that's what he meant by

the other ipod is getting very crowded
Old 12-29-05, 11:24 PM

I just got mine for christmas, this being my first iPod, I am loving it. Just having all my music with me is great, but than there is the added bonus of being able to watch any episode of Arrested Development any time I want.

Battery life is disapointing especially if you are watching vids or even looking at pics.. But I dont have to buy batteries so Its not too huge of a problem.
Old 12-29-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm thinking of going from my iPod Photo to a Video. Should I go for it or wait for the 5th Generation?
Old 12-30-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Battery life is absolutely horrible, almost to the point that the photo and video options are worthless. I can spend 5 minutes looking at a folder containing 80 photos and it takes out almost half of a full charge. An episode of The Office on a full charge puts the meter in the red for me. I can't imagine mine would ever last through an entire movie.
Old 12-30-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sorry.. should've been more clear.. I meant the other ipod thread was getting full... i just went out to buy one... i'm getting some video ready to load up on it... i'm really disappointed to hear about the battery life.... does the nano suffer from the same battery drain or is just because the ipod video displays video?
Old 12-30-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sorry.. should've been more clear.. I meant the other ipod thread was getting full... i just went out to buy one...
My mistake, I thought you meant your hard drive was getting full.
Old 12-30-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked one up a few weeks ago - couldn't resist as apple had the student discount, I had a $30 off coupon, plus free engraving, free shipping

I don't mind the battery life as I am mainly using it as a music player (the photo feature is nice and the movie feature may not get used much by me). It supposedly gets better battery life than the iPod Photo. I love the slimmer form factor!

I'm bying an Agent 18 case for it as I hear it scratches more easily than iPods in the past.

-Gunshy
Old 12-30-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sorry.. should've been more clear.. I meant the other ipod thread was getting full... i just went out to buy one... i'm getting some video ready to load up on it... i'm really disappointed to hear about the battery life.... does the nano suffer from the same battery drain or is just because the ipod video displays video?
Video is a battery killer. Plain and simple.
Old 12-30-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone know of any way to bookmark a long song... i listen to some radio shows that are 2 hrs+ long, but 1 track... any suggestions on how i can either pause/bookmark it, listen to something else, and go back to it at a later time
Old 12-31-05, 12:05 AM

I don't think that's a feature yet for the iPod. Your best bet would be to find a program that'll break it up into smaller files.
Old 12-31-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you think Apple will go any higher than a 60G ipod?
Old 12-31-05, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by RUN-DvdMC
Sure, just a matter of time.
Old 12-31-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yep.. and it will be flash memory...
Old 12-31-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope both of you are right, because now that I got a 250g external hard drive I want to fill up my 60g. I have a ton of cds and music interests so I don't think I'll have problems filling it in the next year.
Old 01-01-06, 06:43 PM

Somewhat related question. I just got the 30 GB iPod video for Christmas and am looking for a quality case for it. I saw that the Agent 18 case got some great reviews and even looks pretty good, however I have the black iPod and all the pictures are with the white iPod so hopefully itll still look as good. My questions is can I find this anywhere aside from the apple store? They have it for about $25 and I was hoping I could get it somewhere else or maybe find a coupon to use with it?
Old 01-01-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Macworld is coming up in 9 days ... if you haven't bought yet, might be worth waiting to see if there are new releases.
Old 01-02-06, 04:33 AM
Stealth Moderator

Re: Battery Life

If you just listen to music, then the battery life is actually really good. What kills the battery life is the backlit screen, like when you watch videos, view photos, search for songs, use the menu, etc. This is true on all iPods.

On the nano, you can click the middle button a few times during a song to view the album cover of the song (if the image is embedded into the mp3). Press the middle button one more time, and you can view the lyrics to the song (if the lyrics are embedded into the mp3). If you use this feature a lot--to sing along, for example--then your battery life can be shortened to around 4 hours instead of the typical 10-12 hours.
Old 01-02-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

think i might return the 30gb video... since the video is such a drain on the ipod, i probably won't watch it much... plus it seems so delicate of an mp3 player.. i'm used to my creative zen that was bigger, but was built like a tank
Old 01-03-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm waiting for something bigger before I upgrade as well. The battery life on my 60 gig photo sucks. It was pretty good but having it for about a year now the battery needs replacing. I don't want to send it off for a new battery because I know I'm going to update soon. I'm just babbling now...
Old 01-03-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re; Battery

I have a 10gig non-video unit that has been sent back for a new battery. They sent me a whole new unit (my return was scratched up). Battery on the new one isn't great either, really seems to drain quick, even with backlighting off, etc. I love the iPod but sure wish they'd get a handle on the battery issue. I use mine plugged in most though, hooked up to the stereo so it hasn't been a deal breaker for me

I also own 2 shuffles that seem to last forever, I assume being flashed-based has a lot to do with this
Old 01-03-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by heavywear
I also own 2 shuffles that seem to last forever, I assume being flashed-based has a lot to do with this
Most definitely. My 512MB Sandisk Sansa MP3 player lasts over 14 hours on a single AAA battery.
Old 01-04-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

anyone know of any way to bookmark a long song... i listen to some radio shows that are 2 hrs+ long, but 1 track... any suggestions on how i can either pause/bookmark it, listen to something else, and go back to it at a later time
iTunes/iPod has a bookmarking feature.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302250
Old 01-12-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i picked up a new video after my mini was crushed in a freak accident. the video battery is a killer. i watched 3 20-minute eps of a show and about 90 minutes of music and i'm running on vapors. (i did not charge the battery out of the box as it appeared fully charged). i think the battery will last a while longer after i give it a good charge or two with a full draining.

i'm also pissed that apple did not include a $3-5 AC charger. i picked one up on eBay for $8 shipped. there is no way i'm leaving my PC on JUST to charge my iPod. plus i travel from time to time and do not bring my PC with me. no way am i going to live without it. (come to think of it, maybe i should have ordered two)

the screen is very delicate, no doubt. you will need a protector of some sort. based on a personal recommendation, i am going to pickup the evo3 from iskin for around $30 off amazon. i'm not sure what i'm going to do for the gym solution. ideally i want to take it to the gym, but i'm not sure right now what to do.

also, i think i want the AV adapter so i can listen to music on my home audio and so i can view movies that i may have on the ipod. marwave has a good 13 foot cable for $18 or so, which is cheaper than the apple version (by a buck), has the same quality, and a much longer cable.

i have a kickass pair of ixos headphones.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.