DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Looking for MiniDV recommendation to use with Mac Tiger OSX (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/450300-looking-minidv-recommendation-use-mac-tiger-osx.html)

heavywear 12-29-05 04:55 PM

Looking for MiniDV recommendation to use with Mac Tiger OSX

Just got a new G5 and I was all psyched to use iDVD to plug in our Panasonic MiniDV...only to find out it only wants firewire camcorders for this. There's a whole list of camcorders on the Apple site but I was wondering if anyone could recommend one they are using? Thanks in advance

Draven 12-29-05 05:09 PM

There's no firewire on the Panasonic? Are you sure you don't have a mini-plug connection?

Jason 12-29-05 05:11 PM

It would be a smaller, four pin connector, not the big connector found on the G5.

Draven 12-29-05 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
It would be a smaller, four pin connector, not the big connector found on the G5.

Yup, here's the cable:

http://www.caloptic.com/images/i3ecable64big.jpg

heavywear 12-29-05 05:24 PM

Wow, you guys are helpful! Its the GS120 model I believe but I only remember it coming with a USB cable. When I plugged it in via USB iDVD didn't recognize. I'll have to dig out the box...thanks

Draven 12-29-05 05:31 PM

It's got a Firewire connection:

You will love the compact and lightweight Panasonic PV-GS120 Camcorder. The Panasonic PV-GS120 features: 10x optical zoom, 700x digital zoom, 2.5 color LCD display, picture in picture mode, 16:9 aspect ratio, 540 lines of resolution, Leica lens, SD/MMC memory card slot, and NTSC format supported. Get professional quality results with the Panasonic PV-GS120 Camcorder.

Key Features
Manufacturer Sku: PV-GS120
Brand: Panasonic
Model: PV-GS120
Camcorder Type: (what's this?) Mini DV
Recording Media: (what's this?) Mini DV
Expansion Slots: (what's this?) SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC)
BizRate Product ID: 11456628
Display & Performance Features
Recording Speeds: (what's this?) SP, LP
Image Stabilization: (what's this?) With Image Stabilization
Video Standard: (what's this?) NTSC
16:9 Widescreen Recording: (what's this?) Widescreen Recording Featured
CCD Size: 1/6 in
Number of CCDs: (what's this?) 3
Lens
Digital Zoom: (what's this?) 700 X
Focus Type: (what's this?) Manual, Auto
Exposure Settings: (what's this?) Automatic, Manual
White Balance: (what's this?) Automatic, Manual
Viewfinder
LCD Screen: Included
LCD Screen Size: (what's this?) 2.5 in
Viewfinder: (what's this?) Color
Still Image
Still Image Capability: (what's this?) Still Image Capability Included
Additonal Features
Audio Format: (what's this?) Stereo, PCM
Bundled Accessories: USB Cable: 1, Carrying Strap, SD Memory Card, AC Adapter, A/V Cable, Lens Cap
Stereo Microphone: Included
Color: Grey
Interfaces
Digital Connectors: FireWire (IEEE 1394)
Dimensions
Height: 3 in
Depth: 3 in
Width: 6 in
I'm sure it's a mini-plug (4-pin) version. It might be called something like "AV I/O" or "IEEE" or something like that. Good luck!

Oh, and if you can wait for shipping, I've been getting all my video cables for work and home from www.cablesforless.com - seems like a shitty site but they've got great prices and fast shipping.

heavywear 12-29-05 06:10 PM

Draven, thanks for the legwork man! and the cable recommendation

Draven 12-29-05 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by heavywear
Draven, thanks for the legwork man! and the cable recommendation

Not a problem - glad to help! :)

heavywear 12-30-05 03:37 PM

Draven, got it to work - very cool! One last question. Once I've burned the DVD and a backup, where does the captured file reside so I can trash it? Hard drive filling up quick...

Adboy151 12-30-05 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by heavywear
Draven, got it to work - very cool! One last question. Once I've burned the DVD and a backup, where does the captured file reside so I can trash it? Hard drive filling up quick...

In iDVD if you didn't change anything from the default set-up it should be in the Documents folder ([Hard Drive Name] > Users > [Your User Name] > Documents).

If you created a movie with your file in iMovie and then transfered that to iDVD, the iMovie file would be saved in your Movies folder ([Hard Drive Name] > Users > [Your User Name] > Movies).

Hope that helps.

Draven 12-31-05 01:13 PM

Yup...you could do a Spotlight search to find it too.