Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Itunes Update Gripe

Old 12-28-05, 02:22 PM
Retired

Itunes Update Gripe

Why do they even call them updates when clicking on "ok"on the update available pop up just takes you to the site to download and install the full 32MB file?

And I don't think I've seen any program update regularly take as long as Itunes does. Usually at least 5 minutes for me. :sigh:
Old 12-28-05, 03:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I hear ya. Apple needs to add a feature where it just updates the parts of iTunes that need updating, rather than reinstalling the whole thing. Mozilla did it with Firefox on 1.5, so hopefully it's only a matter of time.
Old 12-28-05, 03:36 PM
Retired

And now my iTunes won't open. I haven't restarted the computer, but it didn't ask me to and never had to before with updates.
Old 12-28-05, 03:52 PM
Retired

Doh! It wasn't running as when I opened it must have popped up the stupid license agreement, which didn't put anything on the task bar, and popped up behind the 6 or 7 windows of work crap I had up the whole time.

Pretty dumb, both that it didn't pop to the front, and there's another license agreement thing when they already make you agree to it during the install process.

They really need to better streamline their updates.
Old 12-28-05, 05:06 PM

Yeah, I try my best to delay updating until absolutely necessary for that exact reason.

iTunes itself is not the problem, though--the bundled Quicktime installation is the one that takes so long...which sucks because most of the time, the updated application is iTunes and not Quicktime.