Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Newbie hard drive advice requested.

Old 12-27-05, 09:49 AM

Newbie hard drive advice requested.

So I am the last man standing with windows 98. I just got an ipod and have discovered that I also need a new hard drive, as mine rejected the install of a later operating system.

I have a new 17" monitor, so I am not looking for a package, I am looking for a hard drive that supports lots of music, photos and video, with most of my uses being those and word processing, internet, and photo editing.

It would be great to spend less than $300.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 12-27-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you get the weekly Sunday ads, there were plenty of good deals to be found. For example, Best Buy has a 300gb Western Digital HD for $99.99 after rebates (most of the good deals involve the "mail-in rebate" hoops). They also have a Hitachi 160gb drive for $39.99, but I have no idea how good that brand is.

Another great place to find deals online would be http://www.pricewatch.com/

Just be sure to check the reviews posted there of the stores, a lot are not reliable.
Old 12-27-05, 11:03 AM
X
Administrator

Get a drive that has at least a 3 year warranty.
Old 12-27-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if the hitachi mentioned by chew is a deskstar, it should have at least a 3 year warranty. i have used several in the past and i have been very pleased.
Old 12-27-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't tell if the Hitachi is a deskstar, but the product information page does show a 3 year warranty: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099381238289
Old 12-27-05, 12:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Actually, it says "Deskstar" right at the top.

And the OP is not the last man standing with Win 98, I'm typing this on a 7-year old Gateway with 98 original edition (non-SE). Amazingly, it is also the original hard drive.
Old 12-27-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by J-DAM
Actually, it says "Deskstar" right at the top.
Ah, so it does.
Old 12-27-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not sure it's a new hard drive that you need, unless the error was "not enough disk space". Wouldn't the more likely culprit be not enough memory, or a processor that wasn't up to snuff?

By the way, you can buy a whole new computer (without monitor) for ~$400 or a little more. Check out delloutlet.com
Old 12-29-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keep an eye on Techbargains. They highlight lots of deals on drives all the time.

The thing to keep in mind is that older systems tend to have issues with drives larger than 137GB in size. The easiest way to be sure you're able to access all the storage space you've bought on a drive larger than that is to buy a new IDE controller card (easily under $20) that supports at least ATA/100. Just make sure that the controller card you buy has drivers for Win98.
Old 01-10-06, 03:26 PM

I know this is old, but if you're still lookin and don't feel like waitin months for rebates that may never come, try www.newegg.com

$300 would get you a WHOLE lotta hard drive there. Definately look for the warranty. Seagate's 5 year is lookin pretty good to me.

I currently have nothing nice to say about Western Digital as this morning I finally am at a point where I can apply for an RMA on my fried out Caviar drive. Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been working on this return since 12/04/05.

WD CS