Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

If you burn music to a CD-RW, can you burn again to the same CD-RW?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-24-05, 05:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

So I burned some music files to a CD-RW. Now, can I keep on re-burning or over-write more files?

I try to delete the files from the CD-RW, but it says it is "read-only" and I cannot change the attributes?

Does ths mean the burning process nullifies the CD-RW attributes and now it is merely a CD-R?

or can I do other stuff with it and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Windows will see it as read only because windows can't natively use a cdrw like a floppy or hard drive
but nero or any other cd writing program should be able to erase it so you can start over
Old 12-27-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have used CD-RW's for music several times, rewriting a CD as many as 10 times. I did have problems with some 48X CD-RW's when it came to re-writing but that may be have been more of a quality issue than anything else. One thing I have noticed: the quality of the music really sucks when comparing CD-RW music to CD-R music. The ranges seem to be narrower for one thing. I can notice some noticeable distortion at times when using CD-RW's. I just use CD-R's now-a-days.

This is just my experience. Others may disagree.
Old 12-27-05, 12:31 PM
Stealth Moderator

I've never had a really good experience with CD-RWs. A couple times, I wasn't able to read the contents on certain CD-ROM drives. The CD was finalized and read fine on some CD-ROM (as opposed to CD-RW) drives.

The CD-Rs so so cheap these days, anywhere from FAR (free after rebate, except for the cost of stamp/envelope and TVM) to .10 per CD-R. I just use CD-Rs now, even if I'm burning just 10 MB.
Old 12-30-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598
So I burned some music files to a CD-RW. Now, can I keep on re-burning or over-write more files?

I try to delete the files from the CD-RW, but it says it is "read-only" and I cannot change the attributes?

Does ths mean the burning process nullifies the CD-RW attributes and now it is merely a CD-R?

or can I do other stuff with it and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't used CD-RW much because they seem "fussy" and hard to read on other drives (and CDR is cheap). My understanding is that you can only erase the entire disk, then reuse it. You can't selectively erase files and reuse that space. Your CD burner software should have an option for doing this, if it is a CD-RW drive

But I haven't used them for at least 2-3 years, so that may be wrong or out of date.
Old 12-30-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by namja
I've never had a really good experience with CD-RWs. A couple times, I wasn't able to read the contents on certain CD-ROM drives. The CD was finalized and read fine on some CD-ROM (as opposed to CD-RW) drives.

The CD-Rs so so cheap these days, anywhere from FAR (free after rebate, except for the cost of stamp/envelope and TVM) to .10 per CD-R. I just use CD-Rs now, even if I'm burning just 10 MB.

same here. i don't use CD-RW's anymore. i did years ago when CD-Rs where still over a buck a pop though and i was able to add/delete stuff later w/o starting over but this was on a data cd.

of course, now adays for something under, say 200mb, i just use a USB memory stick unless i'm giving it to someone else.
Old 12-30-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't do CD-RW anymore too, but the main reason is different with namja's - I keep losing mine.