Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Compaq, HP or Gateway at Best Buy?

Old 12-23-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Compaq, HP or Gateway at Best Buy?

Hello

I'm trying to help a fellow co-worker with a pc purchase. The trick here it has to be at Best Buy. Our work gives away prizes each year and he won a $1000 gift card to Best Buy. He's not much on the know-how and frankly I haven't kept up with it either (I have a 4yr old Dell) So he's looking at $700 to $800 to spend on a pc. Looking at BB web site here's what I found and need some "pros & cons".

Compaq - Presario 3500+ AMD Athlon 64, 200 GB hard drive, 512 Pc3200 DDR Sdram, ATi Radeon Xpress 200 256 mb video and 9-in-1 media reader, Multi format DVD and a CD-Rom. Price - $579.00

Gateway Media Center 838GM - Intel EM64t Pent.4 630, 1 GB MB PC3200, 7 usb 2.0 ports, 8-in-1 media reader, video by Intel Media 90 with pci express slot, 200GB hard drive, Multi format DVD with CD-Rom. Price - $679.00

HP Pavilion A1230n - AMD Athlon 64 3700+, video by ATi Xpress 200, 6 speaker config sound, 200 GB hard drive, 7 usb ports, 1 Gb system memory, Multi format DVD with CD-Rom. Price - $719.00

I don't know how these manufactures stack up now in terms of quality and support. I know Compaq's had a bad rep but I'm seeing more of them in the workplace. My neighbor got a HP at the start of this year and has had no problems so far. And Gateway I just don't know or have heard much on their stuff to comment. Thanks for any help and advice you can give on these.

Kenny J.
Old 12-23-05, 11:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You should know up front that HP and Compaq are the same company now. They share parts and service, so the quality is about the same. I would say they are middle of the road in the quality department (and they have cruddy Indian tech support), but they offer AMD processers and are generally cheaper than Dell or Gateway for comparable products.

Gateway used to be good, but their quality has slacked off in the past few years. I would say stay away, considering the higher cost of their systems to begin with.
Old 12-25-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Go for the HP. I was looking at it myself but decided to build my own. The integrated ATI chip in there is decent at 3D games and is a lot better than Intel integrated graphics. It also has a free PCIe slot if you want to buy your own video card. I will probably buy the same motherboard that is in the HP when I build my system next year.
Old 12-25-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't they have Toshiba?Lately in Japan NEC and Toshiba are doing great comeback at PC market