Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Cable Modem speed problem - faster without router

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-23-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've got a Linksys Cable Modem (BEFCMU10) and a Belkin Pre-N Wireless Router - I'm running Mac OS X.

Lately, I've noticed some poor download speeds with my "3 Mbps" cable modem connection through Charter Communications. I never get anywhere close to 3 Mbps, but running speed tests online show my connection in the 400-500 Kbps range when I've got the Belkin hooked up and 800-900 Kbps without it (Linksys connected to Mac directly.)

Is there anything I can do about this? I've done some research and changed a few things (DNS settings, some other tweaks I can't remember) but the speed doesn't seem to change.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make this combination work better? I really like the range on the Belkin (100% signal strength anywhere in my house) but this slowness is killing me.
Old 12-23-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't help you, but I can tell you that you're confusing Kbps (kilobytes per second) with kbps (kilobits per second).

OK, I'll help a little. Make sure you have the latest firmware for your router. Also, I recommend telling us how you have your computer hooked up to the router -- wired or wireless.
Old 12-23-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry...I always forget the capitalization is important on those acronyms

I've got the Mac hardwired to the Belkin, which is hardwired to the Linksys. I use the wireless for when I bring my work laptop home and to connect my Xbox in the living room to Xbox Live.
Old 12-23-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Things that could be contributing to the problem:

* Firmware, as mentioned above
* Someone leeching your signal; you should be able to check this in your router setup
* Hardware semi-incompatibility
* Some router/firewall setting
* Other (?)

Anyhow, is 400 kbps (50 kBps) really that slow? And note that I screwed up the first time I was correcting you on the acronyms. I have it right in this paragraph.
Old 12-23-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I appreciate the response:

My firmware is current, I'll check on those other things.

And no, it's not that it's slow, it's more that the speed nearly doubles if I take my Belkin out of the mix - that doesn't seem right to me, but damned if I know how to fix it.
Old 12-23-05, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Actually, the proper spelling is using the big "B" for bytes, and small "b" for bits. Capitalizing the K does help though.
Old 12-23-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Actually, the proper spelling is using the big "B" for bytes, and small "b" for bits. Capitalizing the K does help though.

Please refer to the last paragraph in post #4.

I didn't edit myself since it had become part of the conversation.
Old 12-24-05, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Yeah, but then you didn't capitalized the damn K.
Old 12-25-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd also like to know an answer to this as well. I recently hooked up a Linksys WRT54GS to my laptop so I can also run my 360 wirelessly and I am also losing 50% of my speed when operating wirelessly. I can only get 2.8-3.0mb down wirelessly while I get 6.0-6.2mb when connected.