Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Tech Opinion Request - Corp. Antivirus

Old 12-22-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tech Opinion Request - Corp. Antivirus

I know some of you understand how this stuff actually works so I hope you can give me your input in simple english (since I'm no tech).

Time to upgrade our Symantec Corp. A/V 9.0

What would you suggest for what I describe below? (Symantec, TrendMicro, McAffee, other)

~We are a small place (4 servers and 30 desktops).
~Websites and E-mail hosted by others
~We currently use Symantec Corp. A/V ---> the server keeps the decktops' definitions up to date and seems to do a decent job.
~Our contracted tech guy suggests we change to TrendMicro's corp. solution.
~Others say Trend is OK at the server level but not at the desktop.

Thanks in advance for any help....
Old 12-22-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like trend for exchange and SAV for the server/desktops (personal preference). I wasn't too impressed for trends server/desktop solution. never liked mcafee
Old 12-22-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by habers
I like trend for exchange and SAV for the server/desktops (personal preference)
How many servers/desktops are you using SAV for?

Version 9 or 10?
Old 12-22-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JCJF10
How many servers/desktops are you using SAV for?

Version 9 or 10?
we have clients from 5 PC's to 500 that I manage, so a pretty broad range. All arent running that config, they are running a wide spread. But if I am going into a new client and building a network I typically recommend that config.

I just did a client yesterday that had about 20 client PCs and 3 servers and I did SAV10 with Trend 7 on the information store

going from sav9 to 10 can get messy or it can go without a hitch. make sure to read or even call symantec and explain your setup and have them recommend the steps to take to install/upgrade
Old 12-22-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by habers
we have clients from 5 PC's to 500 that I manage, so a pretty broad range. All arent running that config, they are running a wide spread. But if I am going into a new client and building a network I typically recommend that config.

I just did a client yesterday that had about 20 client PCs and 3 servers and I did SAV10 with Trend 7 on the information store

going from sav9 to 10 can get messy or it can go without a hitch. make sure to read or even call symantec and explain your setup and have them recommend the steps to take to install/upgrade
Thanks for the input. I'm no tech guy but I need to propose and upgrade to something so your opinions are of great value to me. Thanks for your time in response.
Old 12-22-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Symantec 10 rules, I love it especially for the anit-spyware defintions. The part that got messy for me was the emial antivirus everything else went smooth.. very smooth.
Old 12-22-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would agree that Trend is better than Symantec for an Exchange server

However, even with all it's faults, I like Symantec on the "typical" office worker desktop. We have about 50,000 deployed and they are doing great

The problem with Symantec is when something goes wrong, it can go SERIOUSLY wrong. As long as the upgrade is done cautiously you should be fine.

It is always wise to run different brands of AV on different levels of the system. Brand 1 on the desktops, brand 2 on the servers.