Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need some help with networking

Old 12-20-05, 10:01 PM

Need some help with networking

At work we purchased a new computer to replace an older one. Yesterday I had everything up and running fine. However today I couldn't seem to access the network or get on the internet. I then ran the Windows XP Network Troubleshooter. It suggested to change the name of the computer because there was already a computer on the network with the same name. I purposely picked the same name for this computer since it was meant to replace the old computer. I ended up changing the name to something different, but I still couldn't access the network. Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix this problem?
Thanks.
Old 12-21-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you on a domain? If you run 'ipconfig /all' from a command prompt, what do you get? Can you ping other computers, or even your own computer? Any lights on the NIC?
Old 12-21-05, 11:36 AM

We are not on a domain. I ran ipconfig /all and everything looks fine with the correct ip address copied over from the old computer. I can ping other computers on the network and my own computer. I can even ping yahoo.com fine. The light on the NIC is on and it is working fine. Thanks for your help. Please let me know if you have any further help for me.
Old 12-21-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm guessing you've rebooted after changing the name on the machine. So you can ping yahoo.com but if you open up IE it gives you an error? That could be a DNS issue. If you can open up IE and type \\anothercomputername (one that is sharing files and/or printers), does it show it? If so, but you can't see them on your Network Places, that could be a WINS issue. Do you have a central server? Also, I'm guessing your in a workgroup then?
Old 12-22-05, 04:57 PM

I did reboot the computer after changing the name. If I type one of the other computer names into IE it does not come up. We do have a central server and we are on a workgroup.
Old 12-23-05, 12:13 AM

did you copy over the correct dns server and also the default gateway? You could try rebooting the server and the other computers some times there is a workgroup control problem. if it is using the server as a dns server to then you might want to flush the dns. (using ipconfig /flushdns) and what are you using as a DCHP server? a router or the server?
Old 12-24-05, 12:08 AM

I made sure I copied the DNS and gateway information correctly from the old computer. I have tried rebooting the server and new computer several times and that didn't do anything. The router is the DCHP server.
Old 12-24-05, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ecwfan
I made sure I copied the DNS and gateway information correctly from the old computer. I have tried rebooting the server and new computer several times and that didn't do anything. The router is the DCHP server.
Haven't done Windows networking in a while, but you may need to remove that name form the list of computers on the server. Forgot where exactly, sorry.
Old 12-24-05, 06:06 PM

he is running a workgroup so that isn't going to be in there, sash.