Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

External HDD and Mac OS X (Tiger)

Old 12-20-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

External HDD and Mac OS X (Tiger)

I have had 2 Maxtor HDD die on me in the last 3 days.
The first was 300g. It was formatted NTFS whiched i used on my PC - I wanted to use it on my MAC so I plugged it into a external firewire enclosure and use the format option in OS X to change it to FAT. Worked fine - I loaded it up and the next day nothing. OS X under info is showing the drive is full but there are no files on it that I can see and I cannot copy anything to it. I plugged it into my PC via both Firewire and USB2 and it locks up XP and I have to reboot. I did mangage to get an error on the PC once and it said "Invalid Drive" or something similar. I figured the drive had died. No biggie.
I decided to use my other internal secondary drive. A 250 this time, also maxtor also NTFS. Plug into mac with enclosure format to FAT. This time I never got the chance to add data to before it said it was full and would not allow me to transfer. Hooked it up to the PC - same issue as the first one. I called apple and they pretty much told me its not their problem its Maxtor call them. WTF?
Both drives are less then a year so I will be contacting maxtor about manufactors warrenty but any ideas what just happened?
I need an ext. hdd for my laptop for music and pics but I don't want to risk another dead drive, another 200 bucks gone.
Old 12-21-05, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't say for sure what the problem is but I've heard enough horror stories about Maxtor drives that I bought a Lacie drive for my mac when I needed an external drive and it works great.