Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

FTP/Remote Desktop Connection/whatever...

Old 12-20-05, 05:45 PM

FTP/Remote Desktop Connection/whatever...

A long time ago when I was more with it when it came to computers and such I would FTP to get access to my computer when I was away and now I have a little bit of free time to learn how to do this all over again and was wondering what yous guys opinion was on using FTP or the so called Remote Desktop Connection that Windows XP Pro comes with.

Right now I am using ISS to host my own web page and Serv-U to host my FTP. This is fine but I am worried about the security issues that FTP comes with. After doing some brief reading I was thinking about using the RDC. Heck, all I want to be able to do is get ahold of a file or two when I need it (which is not that often).

So what do you guys think?

Also, if the RDC is reccomended how do I use this thing when I do not use accounts with passwords to logon to my home computer? In other words, my home computer has one account on it (admin) and it does not require me to put a password in when I turn the computer on. I like this.

Thanks!!
Old 12-20-05, 06:14 PM
Suspended

I just use FTP. With a big huge long password.
Old 12-21-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gasspasser

Also, if the RDC is reccomended how do I use this thing when I do not use accounts with passwords to logon to my home computer? In other words, my home computer has one account on it (admin) and it does not require me to put a password in when I turn the computer on. I like this.

Thanks!!
Go into the user control panel and create a password for your admin account. Then get TweakUI from Microsoft. It has an autologin feature so you don't have to stop and type the password, though you technically still have one so RDC will work. Or use could use another program like UltraVNC that uses it's internal password for logging in.
Old 12-21-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Go into the user control panel and create a password for your admin account. Then get TweakUI from Microsoft. It has an autologin feature so you don't have to stop and type the password, though you technically still have one so RDC will work. Or use could use another program like UltraVNC that uses it's internal password for logging in.
You can also turn on auto-login in XP by going to Run and type: control userpasswords2

Then just remove the checkmark from 'Users Must Enter a Username and Password' box.
Old 12-21-05, 12:05 PM
lxl

ftp uses plain text to tranfer username and password, so even if you have a huge long password, somebody can still easily get it with network sniffer software.

use ssh/sftp instead.
Old 12-21-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gasspasser
Right now I am using ISS to host my own web page and Serv-U to host my FTP. This is fine but I am worried about the security issues that FTP comes with. After doing some brief reading I was thinking about using the RDC. Heck, all I want to be able to do is get ahold of a file or two when I need it (which is not that often).

So what do you guys think?
FTP is completely unsecure. Use SFTP instead.

Set up SSH on your machine.

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

Download WinSCP onto whatever machines you want to access your machine from.

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

You're good to go.