Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I need help from you DVDR experts

Old 12-19-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need help from you DVDR experts

ok, here's the deal, about a year ago I got a computer (HP Media Center) to make my own DVD's from my huge video collection and silly crap I do on my camcorder, awesome, I started making my own DVDs and everything has been going great.

However, I find that in about half of the DVD players I play my discs in about 40% into the movie it will start freezing up and getting pixalited and blocky and the sound starts cutting in and out like a bad fast food drive thu speaker, until it just freezes up all together and stops. Yet in other players my discs play perfect.

Out of my DVD players, this will happen in my expensive HD DVD player but my discs play fine on my cheap $35 Wal Mart DVD player and on my computer. I copied a movie for my neighbor and it did the same thing on his DVD player and i had to let him borrow my cheap Wal Mart player to watch the movie.

I've also been making mix videos for my DJ friend at clubs to be projected behind him while he "spins" his records. some of the DVD players in the clubs will play my discs fine and some won't and they get all skippy about 30-40 minutes into them.

It's gotten to the point where whenever I let a friend borrow a DVDR I make, I cross my fingers and hope it works on his player.

I use DVD+R (never tried -R) usually Sony or Memorex.

does anyone else have this problem? Am I using cheap or the wrong type of discs? Is there something wrong with my computers burner? Am I clueless?

what do you guys think?
Old 12-19-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all your questions are answered in this thread

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449117
Old 12-20-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
all your questions are answered in this thread

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449117

they are?
Old 12-20-05, 02:50 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by turborobb
they are?
Partly, yes. The whole bit about compatibility and booktype. Probably would get MORE response if part of an on-going thread than starting a new thread.

MOD ACTION: Copied your original post to that thread and closing this one.