Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Reverting a PC back to it's original settings...erasing everything. Help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-19-05, 04:25 PM

I just sold my PC, and I need to completely clean it out before I give it to the new owner. What's the best way to do this? I don't have any of the original discs that came with the computer. Thanks!
Old 12-19-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

darik's boot and nuke. this will wipe your hard drive. just burn the iso, boot the computer, answer the prompts, and the drive will be wiped.
Old 12-20-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I might have use for this in the near future. does this program actually write over the old information (multiple times?) so it not only "erases" the drive but actually makes it unrecoverable? My understanding is that the typical "erasing" of a HD is actually only the computer forgetting where the file is but the file itself could remain intact.
Old 12-20-05, 02:48 PM

if i would you, just take out your original hard drive and go buy a cheap 20 gig from best buy
Old 12-20-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you look at

http://dban.sourceforge.net/features.html

and see "Wipe Methods"

"American DoD 5220-22.M Standard Wipe"

If you choose that, it would be extremely difficult for anyone to recover anything from the drive.

That said, anytime I have seen someone 'dispose' of a hard drive with classified information on it, the drive is physically destroyed (with various methods) AFTER the erase had been performed on it, so you take your chances.

I agree with just buy a cheap hard drive and put it in and be done with it. You can also find older used ones on ebay that have other peoples info on them
Old 12-20-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dban overwrites the drive with data (multiple times depending on the type of data wipe you choose). in theory someone who was very determined might be able to physically extract some random data from the drive, but it should be fine for your uses (unless you have been dealing with compartmentalized information at home )