Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Palm T/X Vs. Axim X51v

Old 12-19-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Palm T/X Vs. Axim X51v

I purchased a Palm T/X last night but I am thinking I should return it and go with the Dell. This is my 3rd palm product. I have a Visor Deluxe and a Sony Clie. I also had a first gen Ipaq that I hated. Anyone on here have either unit? I have tried the brighthand and the Aximsite just looking for more info.
Old 12-19-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the x50v (practically the same thing, with a slight bump in internal memory and pre-installed WM5), and I love it. You should check out the Axim Forum. Here is a recent discussion about your question: http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showt...ghlight=palm+t

-p
Old 12-19-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I have the x50v (practically the same thing, with a slight bump in internal memory and pre-installed WM5), and I love it. You should check out the Axim Forum. Here is a recent discussion about your question: http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showt...ghlight=palm+t

-p

Yea I read that topic as well. I am just scared of glitches with the OS. The T/X has what I need but the screen is not as good. I wish I could find another 30% off coupon to seal the deal. Thanks for your help. Have you had any problems with the unit?
Old 12-19-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The same guy posted on both brighthand and the axim forum. Hmmm what should I do.
Old 12-19-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Axim PDAs are really cool I got to use one for awhile at work. Problem is I'm a long time Palm OS user and really have a hard time liking the PPC interface even though it has improved a lot over the years. My other problem is I have never used Palm OS devices made by Palm. I had Clies for years and now I have a Tapwave Zodiac. Unfortunately Palm, Inc is the only one left making Palm OS PDAs so its a TX or nothing if I ever decide to get a new device.
Old 12-21-05, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a x51v and I like it ... but i'm a former palm user and it's taking a bit longer than expected to get "into" WM5 ... and i'm still learning lots. Truly a large learning curve for me which is embarrassing to say.

In any case I'd just keep on perusing aximsite for more info.
Old 12-21-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bill_n_opus
I've got a x51v and I like it ... but i'm a former palm user and it's taking a bit longer than expected to get "into" WM5 ... and i'm still learning lots. Truly a large learning curve for me which is embarrassing to say.

In any case I'd just keep on perusing aximsite for more info.

I ordered the X51 this morning. I have 14 days on the Palm so I will try them both. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-21-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I ordered the X51 this morning. I have 14 days on the Palm so I will try them both. Thanks for the input.
Sure. No problem.

I should mention a couple of things for you to keep in mind while awaiting for your dell. Did you get the x51 or the x51v?

If you got the VGA model then you may want to keep in mind:

- read up on how to enable "true" VGA through using a "hack" like oz_VGA or se_VGA. Most people have the kinks worked out but there are still some issues.
- please read up on all the stickies, huge info there.
- the A04 ROM is still "buggy" for most people but it will be ironed out over time like the x50 series was over a series of ROM updates.
- if you end up getting accessories for your Dell, and you will probably do, then don't hesitate to PM me (i'm the same nick at aximsite) for opinions. I've bought a ton of crap and learned alot along the way.
- consider getting the upgraded capacity battery and associated case if you plan on doing a ton of portable computing/travel. Otherwise a battery extender will work for you quite nicely.

*if you have problems with your Dell or even want to return it then don't hesitate as Dell has been pretty understanding with customer service beyond their usual norm as i've seen - because of the associated issues with WM5 and the x51v series*

Having said this, it's a heck of a pda and has a ton of functionality. It will just take awhile to iron all the kinks out. Of course, the pda is what you make of it. I'm still trying to teach myself and accrue the habits to make the most of my investment and not let it become a glorified address book.

Regards.
Old 12-22-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure. No problem.

I should mention a couple of things for you to keep in mind while awaiting for your dell. Did you get the x51 or the x51v?

If you got the VGA model then you may want to keep in mind:

- read up on how to enable "true" VGA through using a "hack" like oz_VGA or se_VGA. Most people have the kinks worked out but there are still some issues.
- please read up on all the stickies, huge info there.
- the A04 ROM is still "buggy" for most people but it will be ironed out over time like the x50 series was over a series of ROM updates.
- if you end up getting accessories for your Dell, and you will probably do, then don't hesitate to PM me (i'm the same nick at aximsite) for opinions. I've bought a ton of crap and learned alot along the way.
- consider getting the upgraded capacity battery and associated case if you plan on doing a ton of portable computing/travel. Otherwise a battery extender will work for you quite nicely.

*if you have problems with your Dell or even want to return it then don't hesitate as Dell has been pretty understanding with customer service beyond their usual norm as i've seen - because of the associated issues with WM5 and the x51v series*

Having said this, it's a heck of a pda and has a ton of functionality. It will just take awhile to iron all the kinks out. Of course, the pda is what you make of it. I'm still trying to teach myself and accrue the habits to make the most of my investment and not let it become a glorified address book.

Regards.

I got the X51V. I am going to order a senacase as well. I will let you know if I have any issues. Thanks again for the help. My handle is mhudson78660 on the Axim site.
Old 01-10-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I got the X51V. I am going to order a senacase as well. I will let you know if I have any issues. Thanks again for the help. My handle is mhudson78660 on the Axim site.
Hey, how's your Axim going?

I loaded up rom update a06 ... not sure if it fixed anything.

I'm really starting to like my Axim. I went back to school and it's a blast to be able to surf the 'net and do stupid things like that while sitting in lecture.

Unfortunately, I still get the white screen of death that needs a soft reset if I don't leave wifi/BT on all the time. That's dumb.
Old 01-12-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, how's your Axim going?

I loaded up rom update a06 ... not sure if it fixed anything.

I'm really starting to like my Axim. I went back to school and it's a blast to be able to surf the 'net and do stupid things like that while sitting in lecture.

Unfortunately, I still get the white screen of death that needs a soft reset if I don't leave wifi/BT on all the time. That's dumb.

So far so good. I just did the rom update as well. I have not had any issues except with Pocket Quicken. I cannot get the icon to show on the today screen. Besides that I have been happy with the unit and the case form sena.