Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I have a webcam... what are some good applications for it?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-18-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got the Logitech QuickCam Orbit MP. Other than video conferencing via skype/msn/yahoo, what other cool apps are out there for web cams?

Maybe something that broadcasts on my webpage or myspace/friendster page?

Is there an app that will let me rotate the webcam remotely through the web?

Thanks
Old 12-19-05, 12:55 AM
X
Administrator

Hehe..
Old 12-19-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go rent "American Pie".
Old 12-19-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

can't post the links here, but have you looked into using it to run your own internet based bussines right out of your home?
Old 12-19-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm waiting for suggestions
Old 12-21-05, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a jaunt over to Adult Talk would give you some good ideas ...

Other than that ... all the ideas you've listed is what I do and that's about it.
Old 12-21-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hahn
Go rent "American Pie".
exactly. great movie. and i would do a blind buy on this one.
Old 12-21-05, 06:30 PM
X
Administrator

I was going to point a webcam out of a window and put realtime images on a personal website. There's a lot of interesting stuff to look at outside my windows.

It became a pain though because I had to put two sunglasses worth of filters in front of the webcam to be able to handle the outside daytime brightness. And then it wouldn't work at night unless I removed the filters. The manual focus wasn't too good either.

I'd like to find an inexpensive webcam that has an iris and can handle extremes of brightness. I considered an old 8mm video camera but it shows things like "no cassette" on the image when it's empty. There are models that will even let the internet viewer zoom and rotate them, like this one - http://cams.exploratorium.edu/CAM2/index.html (looks like its rotator broke). I looked into that type but I'm not going to pay that much.
Old 12-22-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
I was going to point a webcam out of a window and put realtime images on a personal website. There's a lot of interesting stuff to look at outside my windows.

It became a pain though because I had to put two sunglasses worth of filters in front of the webcam to be able to handle the outside daytime brightness. And then it wouldn't work at night unless I removed the filters. The manual focus wasn't too good either.

I'd like to find an inexpensive webcam that has an iris and can handle extremes of brightness. I considered an old 8mm video camera but it shows things like "no cassette" on the image when it's empty. There are models that will even let the internet viewer zoom and rotate them, like this one - http://cams.exploratorium.edu/CAM2/index.html (looks like its rotator broke). I looked into that type but I'm not going to pay that much.
Yeah, that's actually what I'm looking for... ideas like that. It'd be nice to put my cam out, but my view doesn't really change so it's nothing interesting.

there's gotta be some apps out there that will let me control the cam from a remote location for something like home security/etc.
Old 12-22-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Have any pets? Fishcam? Lizardcam? Hermitcrabcam?
Old 12-22-05, 10:00 AM

I like the video chat rooms, so you can see who you're chatting with. These places also have "Adult" rooms. Must be 18 to enter those. Some software for this is free, and some isn't. My favorite is iSpQ, which is not free, but has a 21 day free trial. There's iVisit, which is free. Another free one is Dwyco. I also talk with a couple of friends through AIM, with cam and mic. I have no other use for a webcam..............
Good luck!
Old 12-22-05, 10:04 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Have any pets? Fishcam? Lizardcam?
Those two were the other ones I was considering. A nocturnal lizard didn't work out too well but I'm still considering the fishcam. Not as interesting as outside but I could see what they're doing when they don't think I'm watching them.
Old 12-22-05, 10:47 AM

I've used WebcamXP in the past. It broadcasts to an IP address, so I have been able to add a link on my website/blog for people to see things.

The only "useful" thing I have gotten out of it is catching the maid stealing some change out of my room. There are a lot of cool features in the program, and the one that helped me here was the "motion detector" feature that takes photos and saves them as jpegs.