Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

My DVD-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing my DVD-R media: Help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-18-05, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Lite-On 1633S DVD burner. I have been using Maxell 8X DVD-R's for a while because I got them cheap at Office Depot recently. I had burned over 30 discs until yesterday when, all of a sudden, all of my burning software stopped recognizing the Maxel DVD-R's as burnable media. I tried an old 4X Fuji 4X and it worked. Has anyone else heard of a problem like this?

I burned a DVD Friday on this media and now....nothing. When I put one of these DVD-R's in the drive and close it, it acts just like it's unrecognizable media and spins for quite a while.
Old 12-18-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk God

that sucks

does the drive read the data you previously burnt?
Old 12-18-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it reads previously burnt dvd's.
Old 12-18-05, 10:38 AM

You may want to check for firmware updates, for your LiteOn burner.
Also, if you're running XP, you can uninstall the burner's driver, through the device manager, reboot, and let windows re-install it for you. This has helped me with a couple of things. It may have gotten corrupted somehow...........
Good luck! Keep us posted?
Old 12-18-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I usually do when burning CDs or DVDs:

Slow the burning speed down. So although my burner and the disc is capable of 8x or even 12x burn speed, I usually select 4x or 6x. From my experience, I got better burning result.

I don't skimp on media. I've been using Verbatim for years because so far it hasn't let me down. The price is a little bit higher, but it's not that high as long as you don't get the ones with individual jewel case.

I don't know if that helps, ymmv

edited to add: what burning software did you use? People tends to say Nero is one of the best around.
Old 12-18-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://slickdeals.net/#p6852

nice replacement
Old 12-18-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the newest firmware. Even if I didn't, my drive recognized the Maxell media as of Friday afternoon. Then, on Saturday, it wouldn't. It's not that it makes coasters, the darn thing won't even recognize it as recordable media. I put the disc in and it's as if there isn't a blank dvd in there at all. My DVD+RW's and other DVD-R's work, but these Maxell's won't. I use Nero and when I try to burn, it opens the tray and tells me to insert blank recordable media.

I also tried to re-install the driver to no success. My guess is this is pretty much a hardware problem. Does anyone disagree?

bigsoos, does that Plextor have a wide range of compatible media? I tend to buy whatever I can find on sale and, so far, I have had no problems until now.
Old 12-18-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of desperation before I plunked down more money for a new DVD burner, I opened another pack of the same Maxell 8X DVD-R's. And they worked! Well, some of them. Is it possible that a bad batch of DVD-R's got out of the plant? Is that a frequent thing?
Old 12-19-05, 08:32 AM

Look on the pkg. and see where the Maxells were made. I'll almost bet it's Taiwan?
Buy Maxells, and other brand name media, that are made in Japan, instead of Taiwan. The Japanese made discs are mostly manufactured by Taiyo Yuden. They are considered to be the best. About the only exception to this is Verbatims. They are made in Taiwan and Singapore. Both are supposed to be good, but I only get the ones made in Singapore.
Good luck!
Old 12-19-05, 10:03 AM
X
Administrator

See what the media code is for the bad media. It looks like one of the two types of Maxell media is not very good.

The "Japan/Taiwan" rule applies in this case. The Taiwan media is Ritek which has taken a nosedive in quality over the last 6 months or so.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.ph...+or+List+Media
Old 12-20-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys got it....this batch is from Taiwan. I had never bought Maxell media before, this may be the last even if the Japan discs are fine. A brand name is a brand name, I haven't had to worry about this with other brands.
Old 12-20-05, 10:53 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by freudguy
You guys got it....this batch is from Taiwan. I had never bought Maxell media before, this may be the last even if the Japan discs are fine. A brand name is a brand name, I haven't had to worry about this with other brands.
Then you must never have used Memorex.
Old 12-20-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Among others. This is a possible issue with many different brands.
Old 12-20-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
Then you must never have used Memorex.

Nope, I have always stayed away from them due to their bad reputation. I tend to use Philips more than any other - I have never had a bad disc with those.
Old 12-20-05, 02:29 PM

Maxell is the worst media that you can buy. if you looking for good media I highly recommend Taiyo Yuden 4x dvd-r's. you can get them at supermediastore.com
that or sony dvd-r's.