Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sling Media, Slingbox

Old 12-17-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sling Media, Slingbox

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=S126-1000

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Anyone have one? I travel a ton for work. And typically I have HSI but lousy TV, so this kind of interests me.

Of course my 1st question is how well does it work?

And 2nd, am I reading this right that you cannot be watching different channels at the same time? In other words, you can control your TV (Dish, Tivo, whatever) with your laptop, but the person sitting in front of your TV cannot watch one show while you watch something else on your lappy? It that correct? I keep reading that this "placeshifts" the signal to your lappy, so I'm assuming that means you both have to be watching the same thing.
Old 12-17-05, 11:01 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have one.
The quality is good when you are viewing it from the same network (over the LAN). When you are viewing it remotely, like from work or Singapore, you are limited by your upload speed at home (or wherever the slingbox is connected). I find the quality viewable but not great; it's grainy and can get pretty choppy during fast action like during a sports event.

As for the multiple channel viewing:
I don't use it to control any tivos or other devices (because i don't have any). i split the cable line three ways - one to my tv, one to my cable modem, and one to the slingbox (it has it's own tuner). with this setup, someone watching the tv can watch a channel independent from what someone is watching from the slingbox. the limit of the slingbox is that only one person can be logged onto it at a time.

If, however, you connect like -> cable line -> tivo ->slingbox -> tv then only one channel can be viewed.
Old 12-19-05, 12:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

Hmmmm how would this work if I watch all my TV using Windows MCE. So I run an HD Antennae into my PC using ATI HDWonder and then watch it with MCE.
Old 12-19-05, 12:33 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Hmmmm how would this work if I watch all my TV using Windows MCE. So I run an HD Antennae into my PC using ATI HDWonder and then watch it with MCE.
i think with your setup, since you already have a tuner on your pc, you'd better off with Orb - http://www.orb.com/

(also, slingbox does not support HD)
Old 12-20-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, the Sling has it's own built in tuner, or did you get another cable box just for it?

In reading it "officially" says you cannot watch a different channel, but I can see with your set up, you can. I was thinking about putting one in my bar, that will be rarely watched (especially since I haven't built the bar yet), then use it to watch on the road. Tho the sports bothers me a little as that is one of the things I have been missing while on the road. Still seems like a pretty neat idea.
Old 12-20-05, 09:25 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Oh, the Sling has it's own built in tuner, or did you get another cable box just for it?
yup, it has it's own tuner. i think some cable providers require their own special box but i think those are rare these days. i've never needed one for Charter cable (Los angeles)