Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD+R DVD-R Questions

Old 12-17-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVD+R DVD-R Questions

I have never fully understood the difference between dvd+r or dvd-r.. In backing up data and movies, which is recommended for playback in a "normal" DVD player
Old 12-17-05, 12:29 PM
X
Administrator

I'm assuming home movies here. For the 100th time that this has been asked and answered (I really should put this in a sticky)...

DVD+R with the booktype set to DVD-ROM is virtually universally read by "normal" DVD players. If your burner can't set the booktype, DVD-R is a little more compatible since it has been around longer and more players recognize it.

Data backups are pretty much the same with either. DVD-R has a little bit more capacity but that's due to DVD+R taking up a little more space for error correction. For the same speed media I find DVD+R takes less time to start burning than DVD-R but I'm not sure if you can say either is faster overall.
Old 12-17-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

+R takes less time to start burning, less time to start scanning, less time for drives to recognize, less time for autplay, etc. I spent three months as a -R fanatic for no particular reason but now, after trying a +R, I think I'm ready to make a permanent switch.
Old 12-17-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I get whatever is on sale when I get low
my stand alone dvd player plays both without having to fiddle with the booktype setting (maybe nero automatically is setting it to dvd-rom)
Old 12-17-05, 04:34 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I get whatever is on sale when I get low
my stand alone dvd player plays both without having to fiddle with the booktype setting (maybe nero automatically is setting it to dvd-rom)
My sentiments exactly.
Old 12-18-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question about DVD+R vs DVD-R.

The guy in COMPUSA said that the plus is the safer bet since most standalone DVD players will read that. Some older DVD players will only read the plus and not the minus.

Is this true? Can someone here give a more thurough explaination of the difference in performance (if any), quality, etc. of the plus vs the minus? Thanks!
Old 12-18-05, 06:29 PM
Stealth Moderator

runner001, there already was a + vs. - thread on the first page when you started yours. The 2 threads have been merged.
Old 12-18-05, 06:31 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by runner001
The guy in COMPUSA said that the plus is the safer bet since most standalone DVD players will read that. Some older DVD players will only read the plus and not the minus.
As one would expect, that's exactly the opposite of reality. Why would older players recognize +R when +R didn't exist when they were made? -R was available first.
Old 12-19-05, 08:41 AM

My stepfather has a player that won't play either. I've tried several of each. Then I tried a +R that was booktyped to dvd rom. His player played it flawlessly. Commercial, store bought movies are booktyped to dvd rom. That's why they play on 99% of players. Not all burners are capable of booktyping. Here's info on booktyping:
http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
Good luck! Enjoy reading and learning about booktyping. It's very easy to do.............
Old 12-19-05, 09:58 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by emoxley
Enjoy reading and learning about booktyping. It's very easy to do.............
If your recorder supports it. NEC does, Lite-On does, Plextor does, and several other brands do as well.

Pioneer does not and that's the major reason why I don't have a Pioneer +R recorder.
Old 12-19-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
I'm assuming home movies here. For the 100th time that this has been asked and answered (I really should put this in a sticky)...
Or, how about adding it to the woefully out-of-date DVD-ROM FAQ? I don't think you can even still buy those hardware decoders it recommends, can you? Also, some of the links don't work now.

Data backups are pretty much the same with either. DVD-R has a little bit more capacity but that's due to DVD+R taking up a little more space for error correction. For the same speed media I find DVD+R takes less time to start burning than DVD-R but I'm not sure if you can say either is faster overall.
I couldn't care less about a format taking more time to start burning (within reason), but a little more space for error correction sounds good to me. Having discs being recognized and scanned faster is also a good thing.

I don't really think it's strange that DVD+R can be read by more players because it's newer. Could it be that part of the reason for creating another format in the first place was to have a rewriteable format that was compatible with more players?
Old 12-19-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by namja
runner001, there already was a + vs. - thread on the first page when you started yours. The 2 threads have been merged.
I blame it on my cat for not noticing the thread already there.

so sorry. thanks for merging.
Old 12-19-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
As one would expect, that's exactly the opposite of reality. Why would older players recognize +R when +R didn't exist when they were made? -R was available first.
I thought the reasoning was that the newer ones were made compatible for both the newer DVD players and the older DVD players?

Originally Posted by emoxley
My stepfather has a player that won't play either. I've tried several of each. Then I tried a +R that was booktyped to dvd rom. His player played it flawlessly. Commercial, store bought movies are booktyped to dvd rom. That's why they play on 99% of players. Not all burners are capable of booktyping. Here's info on booktyping:
http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
Good luck! Enjoy reading and learning about booktyping. It's very easy to do
clicked on the link, it didn't really explain what booktyping/bitsetting is. It explained how to do it for specific programs though.
Old 12-19-05, 02:42 PM
X
Administrator

I thought the reasoning was that the newer ones were made compatible for both the newer DVD players and the older DVD players?
Not really. Although bitsetting was made for that. If all +R burners did bitsetting by default (or even at all) that would have been the reasoning.

The way it works is standalone DVD players know to recognize particular DVD identifiers. DVD-ROM is the standard identifier of commercial DVDs as well as DVD+R that has the booktype set to DVD-ROM (which identifies the DVD as DVD-ROM).

As a burnable format, only DVD-R existed when some players were made. Many of them had firmware that recognized and allowed DVD-R to be played but they didn't allow DVD+R to be played because it wasn't a recognized format of DVD at the time. That's why DVD-R is a little more universally accepted, particularly in older players. But DVD-ROM plays in all players (or they wouldn't be DVD players).
Old 12-19-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need help from you DVDR experts

ok, here's the deal, about a year ago I got a computer (HP Media Center) to make my own DVD's from my huge video collection and silly crap I do on my camcorder, awesome, I started making my own DVDs and everything has been going great.

However, I find that in about half of the DVD players I play my discs in about 40% into the movie it will start freezing up and getting pixalited and blocky and the sound starts cutting in and out like a bad fast food drive thu speaker, until it just freezes up all together and stops. Yet in other players my discs play perfect.

Out of my DVD players, this will happen in my expensive HD DVD player but my discs play fine on my cheap $35 Wal Mart DVD player and on my computer. I copied a movie for my neighbor and it did the same thing on his DVD player and i had to let him borrow my cheap Wal Mart player to watch the movie.

I've also been making mix videos for my DJ friend at clubs to be projected behind him while he "spins" his records. some of the DVD players in the clubs will play my discs fine and some won't and they get all skippy about 30-40 minutes into them.

It's gotten to the point where whenever I let a friend borrow a DVDR I make, I cross my fingers and hope it works on his player.

I use DVD+R (never tried -R) usually Sony or Memorex.

does anyone else have this problem? Am I using cheap or the wrong type of discs? Is there something wrong with my computers burner? Am I clueless?

what do you guys think?
Old 12-20-05, 06:12 AM

clicked on the link, it didn't really explain what booktyping/bitsetting is. It explained how to do it for specific programs though.
The first two paragraphs explained exactly what it is. There's no real long explanation for it. It's just plain and simple...............
Old 12-20-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by turborobb
I use DVD+R (never tried -R) usually Sony or Memorex.

does anyone else have this problem? Am I using cheap or the wrong type of discs? Is there something wrong with my computers burner? Am I clueless?
I don't think many have a high opinion of either Sony or Memorex media. I would certainly give higher quality media a try: Taiyo Yuden is the one I give the highest recommendations.
Old 12-20-05, 08:38 AM

I don't think many have a high opinion of either Sony or Memorex media.
Not even the Made in Japan Sony media? I thought a good general rule of thumb was to buy, whatever the brand, media made in Japan. I hope so, because I recently bought some Sony +R made in Japan on sale at BB.
Old 12-20-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say your certainly safe with following the "made in Japan" rule, but if you buy online like I do: it's a bit hard to check.
Old 12-20-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony made in Japan is excellent, it is Taiyo Yuden.

Sony made elsewhere is not good and is usually CMC

You can't JUST rely on brand name with blank DVD's

Memorex is almost always CMC
Old 12-20-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can add to the Japan/Taiwan rule from my thread here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=449185

You can add Maxell to the list with Sony and Memorex. Almost an entire spindle was unusable and I still run into the occassional bad disc in my other spindles (I bought a bunch at Office Depot on Black Thursday). Al of the spindles were made in Taiwan.
Old 12-20-05, 10:14 PM

Maxell's made in Japan, are very good too. I'm finishing up a spindle of 25, and they've all done great. The only exception to the "Made in Japan" rule, is Verbatims. They are made in Taiwan and Singapore, and both are supposed to be good. I just get the ones made in Singapore..............
Old 12-21-05, 01:05 PM

Still all new to me but does anyone have comments on the relative merits of either Nero CD-DVD Speed or DVDInfoPro? I've seen these suggested elsewhere as good (and free) tools for checking your DVD burns and whether or not they've begun to deteriorate after time. I think I'd prefer something simple and idiot-proof for starters.
Old 12-21-05, 01:36 PM
X
Administrator

I think either would be fine.

I prefer a scanner that only works with Lite-On drives but the others work to some extent with other brand drives.
Old 12-22-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been using a 50 spindle of Memorex and haven't had a problem yet. I set the book type to DVD-ROM and they work like a charm. No hiccups at all. I have a Sony DVD player, I forget the model number but it was like $75 at Target last year.

Edit: Oops forgot to mention that I'm using a Lite-On SOHW-1693S. The only thing that's been weird is that when I try and burn at 16x it takes the same amount of time as 8x. When the burn starts it's all normal and it gets about 75% and says there are 0 seconds left and then the buffer goes to zero and then it picks back up and says it's going to take another 2 minutes. Very weird and annoying. But the disks always work. Now I just burn at 8x since the time is the same as 16x. I also have the latest firmware so I guess it could be the media or something.

Last edited by danicus007; 12-22-05 at 12:36 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.