Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help me get the keyboard and mouse working!

Old 12-16-05, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Help me get the keyboard and mouse working!

So I'm putting together a computer from some old spare parts laying around. Case+motherboard was given to me by a friend. I added a P3-800 processor. Also had a 40 gig hard drive from another old system (with a registered copy of WinXP Pro on it.)

So the computer boots up and get to the screen where you click on one of the profiles to get in. Problem is that I can't get a keyboard or mouse working. I've tried 3 mice, USB, PS/2 nothing works.

And to top it off, I tried booting with a linux CD to see what would happen. Keyboard and mouse work just fine in linux!

I'd like to avoid reinstalling windows, but if that's the only option, so be it.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-05, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's only a little step off from reinstalling, but you can try to repair Windows using the installation CD.
Old 12-16-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Have you tried both USB and PS/2 keyboards? My advice would be to hook up a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and go into the BIOS to make sure nothing has been disabled. Boot in safe mode (hold f8 down when you see the initial Windows splash screen) and see if you get function then. Good Luck!
Old 12-17-05, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies. I found a BIOS setting that seems to have fixed this. Something about "Plug and Play OS installed"
I turned on this option and the keyboard came right up. One reboot later the USB mouse was in business.
I've got a pretty decent computer working that I only invested $22 in! (processor + fan on ebay)