Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer won't turn on. Help!

Old 12-15-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Computer won't turn on. Help!

What the thread title said - it happened when I play some game, then the pc freezes and restart itself, only this time it didn't make it to the bootscreen and turn itself off. I tried to search the source of the problem, and it turns out that if I unplug the HD the PC will reboot, but it shows a warning that an attempt to overclocking the PC fails (I didn't overclock it). When I turn it off and replug the HD, it will turn itself off again.

The question is, is my HD dying or is it the motherboard that is acting up?
My PC is practically on all the time. What is the average MTBF for a HD? It was only about 18 months old.

My motherboard is an ASUS P4P800S and the HD is a Seagate 80 Gb with SATA interface. I don't think heat is an issue here.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-15-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe its the power supply?
Old 12-16-05, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're right on the spot - I tried to unplug my devices one by one, and apparently my power supply doesn't like my HD. Everytime I plug my HD, it won't start. I'm currently plugging my old HD to my old PC power supply. Temporarily, of course - until I get a new power supply.