Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

So, I may be buying a new printer tonight??

Old 12-14-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, I may be buying a new printer tonight??

OK, my old HP 648C is out of ink, so going to Office Max and buying new ink (color and black) will run about $60, with just the black being about $28. Also I need to print some things tonight so I cannot order refills online, but couldn't really find a deal anyway. So instead of buying new ink, I may just buy a new printer.

So I was thinking about the HP Deskjet 3940. I can buy it new for $49.99 and ink refills are only $30 for color and black.
http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...OID=1611273660

I only really print B&W at home, so I was thinking about a laser. There is a Konica Minolta PagePro 1350W Laser Printer for $60 after rebate, but ink refills are about $80.

Now I believe the laser drum is about 1500 sheets, so it would be about $0.05 per sheet. The HP black toner is about $15 so I would need to get about 300 sheets from it (5 ml). Is this reasonable for an inkjet?

Or is there a better machine/offer I should think about buying. I have a BB and Circuit City near-by as well.

Last edited by jon-w9; 12-14-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't buy another HP - - they will rape you on the ink

Get a cannon or an epson that you can buy aftermarket ink for

Look at

www.ink4art.com
www.abcink.com
www.swiftink.com
http://private.abacus24-7.com/home.aspx?

I have an older cannon i860 and use ink from ink4art when they put out 40% off and free shipping coupons. Printing is cheap now
Old 12-14-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW, I have had a terrible time with off-brand ink in my epson inkjets. The jets continue to get clogged up. I have tried 3 different companies and still the same result. Staples brand was the worst.

If you do B&W 90% of the time then definitely look at a laser printer. I have not done the math recently but 3-4 years ago it was much cheaper to print in laser than inkjet. Maybe things have changed recently. Also, the 1500 pages per toner cartridge is average. I get around 2500 on my hp laserjet and the staples toner cartridge works fine and is substantially cheaper than the hp brand.
Old 12-14-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I checked and the toner cartridge is good for 3000 sheets, so that makes it $0.025 per sheet, which is pretty good. The only bad things that I have found were people complaing about the cost of toner (which I don't think is too bad) and the noise level, but that doesn't matter to me either.

I think I may go with it, and if I don't like the results I get tonight, I can just return it before I send in all the rebates.

I have a color 4x6 printer for photos, and color lasers at work I can use, so I think I will break away from injets.

Now, do I need to turn this printer off when I am not actively using it, or can I just let it sleep (powersave) during the days? When inactive, would it use the same power as an inkjet?
Old 12-14-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you print B&W than get a laser. The toner is more, but each toner refill prints something like 10 times the number of pages an inkjet refill does.
Old 12-14-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the laser I was hoping to get was sold out, so I ended up getting a Brother HL-2040. It will be ~80 after MIR, but toner is cheaper, making it only $0.024 per page, so it should work out better than my old inkjet. After I finish my project I will check some reviews, but right now I don't have time.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-14-05, 06:56 PM

I picked up a Samsung 2010 for ~$50 after rebate just before thanksgiving. Newegg has it for ~$65 after rebate currently. Supposedly the stock cartridge that comes with it can be refilled..but have to wait until February until the way to do it is available from free online here.
Old 12-14-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I was in the army they used to use remanufactured toner because it was cheaper. It caused a lot of paper jams that magically went away when I made my office switch to HP toner on the advice of the tech that we paid $150 per visit to fix the printers.