Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What's The Best (Easiest) Mp3 Manager?

Old 12-14-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's The Best (Easiest) Mp3 Manager?

I've got a bunch of .wma songs that I need to re-format to .mp3's so they'll work on my phone and I was wondering what you guys use. I was told about the godfather but that was confusing as hell. ANybody else have any good suggestions. Also if you know what id tags are and what not, a program that can change those would be nice too.
Old 12-14-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Since my mp3 player holds and plays wma files, I rarely have to convert them to mp3's, unless I want to be able to transfer them back onto the computer FROM the player for whatever reason, then I have to convert them. In that rare instance, I have to burn them onto a cd, then I usually rip them back onto the computer with the mp3 player's software. But I also still have a program installed on my computer called EasyMP3, from www.proteron.com. It's extremely easy to use, but again, it's mainly for directly ripping what you already have on cd, instead of just converting files, although it takes the wma files on the cd and makes them mp3's.

Sorry if that doesn't help. Just passing along how I do it.
Old 12-14-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

iTunes
Old 12-14-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ to convert
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ to tag
http://www.mediamonkey.com/ to catalog
Old 12-14-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shaun3000
iTunes
ditto.
Old 12-14-05, 12:53 PM

I really detest iTunes. IMO it is a perfect example of the Apple philosophy of, "we know better than you, so we'll do things our way and don't worry your pretty little head over the lack of options." I've used both MusicMatch Jukebox and Winamp for several years. Lately I'm liking Winamp more because itsiPod plugin is superior.
Old 12-14-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

can somoene tell me if I'm right on this.....the difference between an id tag and ext is an extension is the ".mp3" or ".wma" or ".mid" etc right? So what exactly is an id tag? I was told it was the name of the entire song but that's different than looking at the name of the actual song or something?
Old 12-14-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I really detest iTunes. IMO it is a perfect example of the Apple philosophy of, "we know better than you, so we'll do things our way and don't worry your pretty little head over the lack of options." I've used both MusicMatch Jukebox and Winamp for several years. Lately I'm liking Winamp more because itsiPod plugin is superior.
Thats the beauty of it. People want simple technology. Apple delivers simple.
I'm a very computer/mp3 savy user, and I use iTune exclusively.

For converting to MP3, you just set up the decoder to MP3 and drag files over. Simple.
Old 12-14-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phatboy
can somoene tell me if I'm right on this.....the difference between an id tag and ext is an extension is the ".mp3" or ".wma" or ".mid" etc right? So what exactly is an id tag? I was told it was the name of the entire song but that's different than looking at the name of the actual song or something?
The extension just tells your computer what type of file it is. The extension is part of the filename and can be changed rather easily by anyone. Changing the filename doesn't change any data in the file even if you change the extension (although the file might not work if the computer doesn't have the proper extension for it).

The ID3(v2) tag is a part inside the actual file that contains information such as song name, artist, recording date, comments, occasionally pictures, lyrics, etc. The ID3 tag can only be read by programs set up to view them, which would include pretty much all mp3 players.
Old 12-14-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

As a rule, I dislike those things apple, but itunes is as good as I have used.
Old 04-06-06, 06:48 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does iTunes connect to the net to automatically update the ID3(vs) info like Musicmatch does?

I am looking for something that will update my tags with the click of a button. I don't want to have to manually enter all the information on over 2,000 songs.
Old 04-06-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Thats the beauty of it. People want simple technology. Apple delivers simple.
I'm a very computer/mp3 savy user, and I use iTune exclusively.

For converting to MP3, you just set up the decoder to MP3 and drag files over. Simple.
Exactly. Why the hell do I want to worry about how the files are organized when the only way I interact with them is through iTunes? And I have no problem how they are organized. It works perfectly.
Old 04-06-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DAC
Does iTunes connect to the net to automatically update the ID3(vs) info like Musicmatch does?

I am looking for something that will update my tags with the click of a button. I don't want to have to manually enter all the information on over 2,000 songs.
Not that I'm aware of. It does that when you rip a CD. How does Musicmatch know how to set the ID3 tags of a file that is not identified by a CD?
Old 04-06-06, 08:18 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by wendersfan
What does iTunes do things its way? I switched from Winamp to MusicMatch to iTunes and each switch was seamless. The only thing an mp3 player really does is play the mp3s. I can still use any of the 3 players (actually 4 including Windows Media Player) and there's no hitch. All my mp3s are in my d:\mp3 folder and each player just plays the songs. I prefer iTunes because of the layout and because of the music store; I don't buy anything from them, but I can see which songs are popular, I can check out the iMixes, etc.

Originally Posted by CRM114
Not that I'm aware of. It does that when you rip a CD. How does Musicmatch know how to set the ID3 tags of a file that is not identified by a CD?
In the purchased version of MusicMatch, you can tag all your songs based on the filename. You can also rename the files based on the ID3 tags.
Old 04-06-06, 08:31 PM
DAC

I'm not really sure how it does it. I just know that you push the supertaging tab and it would search somewhere (cbgb maybe?) and download album covers and all the info needed based on the artist and song title.

edited because I see Namja answered this. I had an old version and no longer have the supertagging abilities. I was wondering if there was anything comperable.
Old 04-06-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So its guessing what the song is based on the filename? Meh.
Old 04-06-06, 09:26 PM
DAC

A heck of a lot less time consuming than typing in all the information yourself, that I can assure you. You only had to type in the info on those that were really off.
Old 04-07-06, 02:00 AM
Stealth Moderator

Actually, in the newest version of MusicMatch (MusicMatch Jukebox Plus 10), the Super Tagging feature takes the filename and the current ID3 tags and does a query to a music database and returns a number of choices. As long as you have the artist name and title anywhere in the filename or the ID3 tags, then you should get back the right song as one of the options. You can then choose to retrieve the full tag info (artist, album, song title, track #, album year, genre and album art). Pretty cool, but this is on a subscription basis only.

The MusicMatch Jukebox Plus 10 is $19.99 and it includes one year of Super Tagging. After that, I don't know how much the Super Tagging service is.
Old 04-07-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i use godfather and love it. *but* i haven't messed with wma files...i rip straight to mp3 with lame encoder.
Old 04-07-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by namja
Actually, in the newest version of MusicMatch (MusicMatch Jukebox Plus 10), the Super Tagging feature takes the filename and the current ID3 tags and does a query to a music database and returns a number of choices. As long as you have the artist name and title anywhere in the filename or the ID3 tags, then you should get back the right song as one of the options. You can then choose to retrieve the full tag info (artist, album, song title, track #, album year, genre and album art). Pretty cool, but this is on a subscription basis only.

The MusicMatch Jukebox Plus 10 is $19.99 and it includes one year of Super Tagging. After that, I don't know how much the Super Tagging service is.
So is the point of that system to tag files pirated off the internet?
Old 04-07-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DAC

iTunes can do this. Select all the tracks for an Album and then go to Advanced-->Get CD Track Names and it will do the same thing for those files as it would do if you put the original cd in the drive.
Old 04-07-06, 10:36 AM
Stealth Moderator

So is the point of that system to tag files pirated off the internet?
Two things:

(1) For the music that you ripped from CDs that you didn't tag. The first 100 or so CDs that I ripped into my computer (about 10 years ago) were never tagged because my computer wasn't on line. I'm sure a lot of people have music that they ripped that weren't tagged or improperly tagged.

(2) It not only does the tags, it also does album art (if you're into that). Getting album art is a relatively new thing.

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
iTunes can do this. Select all the tracks for an Album and then go to Advanced-->Get CD Track Names and it will do the same thing for those files as it would do if you put the original cd in the drive.
That only works for songs that were imported using iTunes. Not quite the same thing.
Old 04-08-06, 03:50 PM
DAC

So namja, anything like Musicmatch's capabilities that you know of? Preferably free ware.
Old 04-08-06, 04:10 PM
DAC

Well, it looks like http://www.mediamonkey.com/ might be my answer. Anyone ever use that? I'll download it and play around with it later.
Old 04-08-06, 07:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I use MediaMonkey and love it. It is really good for batch tagging/renaming files (you get many different options here) as well as format conversions.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.