Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

laptop frozeup, now it won't boot up...

Old 12-13-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

laptop frozeup, now it won't boot up...

so I was downloading a torrent and my pc started to move extremely slow. I checked taskmanager and explorer.exe was running my CPU at over 70. I ended up getting my torrent program to shut down but my CPU never slowed down. I had to force a shutdown. now it won't boot. it just hangs at the Windows startup. Ialso tried to start it into safe mode but it just hangs there too. is there anything I can do for this?

it is a Toshiba Satellite laptop running XP Pro. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-13-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a bad hard drive with a bunch of bad sectors.
Old 12-13-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would agree with it sounds like a hard drive with issues

HDD regenerator may help

http://www.topdownloads.net/software/view.php?id=8307

the ultimate answer is probably a new drive, but tough to call on a forum
Old 12-13-05, 10:52 PM

yep, it appears it is my HDD. I finally got it to load after an extremely long wait. now its doing a nice grinding sound. of course, I can't seem to get it to get a backup going at this point either. warrantee tech sevice wants me to do a delete/restore of the drive which I don't want to do since I have a ton of important stuff on the drive.
Old 12-13-05, 11:49 PM

quick question - if I do a complete drive backup will it be possible to restore only select files at a later date or will I have to save every file I definately want to keep one by one? I'm thinking of this because I am a good way into a complete pc backup and I'm not sure I'll be able to do a file by file backup.
Old 12-14-05, 12:13 AM

nevermind. I'll never get a whole drive backup complete. I had to end it because it was doing nothing. it started out with an hour to complete and when I stopped it it was around 30 days. it started to freeze up as well. this completely sucks.
Old 12-14-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe trying running the backup outdoor in the freezing cold? When the HDD gets warm or hot, that is when the problem probably start.
Old 12-14-05, 11:19 AM

ok, I finally got it to load up. I have been able to backup some of my stuff but not all. it is pretty slow from the get go. it takes atleast 10min. to 15min. to boot up into a running state if not more. a perfect example of this would be a drive that is extremely fragmented. yes, I checked this and it shows its not fragmented at all(I do a defrag every few days if it gets alot of use). I get some kind of an error message(blue screen) that pops up when the drive gets too busy but I never get a chance to see what it says(that is the only thing that doesn't stay up forever).

I tried to do a restore since I upgraded Java yesterday but I can't get it to happen. I keep getting an "improper shutdown won't allow restore to work" or something like that. the thing is, the pc shuts itself down just like normal. if I can get the last few things out of it that I want I will try a complete restore from the DVD and see what happens.

I like the idea of trying outdoors but I'm using an external dvd drive to put as much as I can when it works onto discs. my internal drive is just CD-R. maybe I'll dig out a few extension cords and try that though.
Old 12-14-05, 02:48 PM

damnit. I did all my backups and started a restore and now I'm stuck with my other pc not being able to read the discsa. my burning software didn't format the discs or something. crap.
Old 12-14-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is your hard drive still grinding? Even if it is not grinding anymore I would still consider it dead and not try to do a backup on it.
Old 12-14-05, 05:05 PM

I got 1 of the 2 dvds to work after hours of messing with them. I had to reformat the HDD as per the request of the warrantee company. they said if this doesn't fix it I'll have to send it in for repair/replacement.
Old 12-14-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like a reformat and a restore should resolve your problem. I had the same thing happen to me after installing a Microsoft security patch. I don't know about you guys but I think I'll chance it when it comes to security than to have to go and reinstall windows after a Microsoft patch. Needless to say I hate reformats/reinstalls.
Old 12-14-05, 06:25 PM

I'm around 35% into my reformat. the drive is still noisy. I'm thinking I'll be sending it in very soon.