Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wireless Cable Modem

Old 12-13-05, 06:12 PM

Wireless Cable Modem

Hi, my family is about to suscribe to a cable internet provider and were interested in setting up a wireless network in the house. My first questions are what kind of wireless cable modem do you all recommend? A few options I am looking into are the Motorola SURFboard SBG900 and the Linksys Wireless-G WCG200. I couldn't find very many reviews on them online though and were curious if anyone was currently using or had experience with one or the other. Also, is this even the right route to take? or should i get a modem and a seperate wireless router? and if so what do you all recommend for that route?

Finally, when I was searching for similar questions I found several links to sites about setting up networks, but I am curious if there are any additional security measures that I should take.

Thanks
Old 12-14-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm no expert on this issue, but here's my experience: I decided to ditch my landline and switch to Cable for my internet (net price is cheaper than phone + DSL). The provided modem was installed and I hooked up my wireless router so my TiVo can get it's guide information. The speedtests showed no higher than a 500-600k download speed. Last night, I removed the router from the set-up and the download speed jumped to the 2500-3000k range. I can't for the life of me figure out if it's just a stupid setting in the router or just not built for the high speed (despite claiming it's a "DSL/cable" router).

Your post has got me thinking that Motorola one might be the route to go. It's on the "approved" list on my cable's website.