Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Photoshop Question

Old 12-12-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Photoshop Question

Is there a way (or a filter) that I can get photoshop 7.0 to paint with a texture that is taken from another part of the pic. To better describe what Im talking about: Say I've taken a pic of the beach, and I want to edit some trash out of the sand. Is there a way to select some of the sand and use that as kind of a "texture" so that I can select the painbrush and it will make random patterns using the colors of the copied sand?
Old 12-12-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Have you tried the Rubberstamp tool?
Old 12-12-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, Rubberstamp tool and the clone tool works too, but I didn't jump on PS until CS came about so I'm not sure if these are available in 7
Old 12-12-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The clone tool is what you want which IS in PS7, and I believe goes all the way back to 4.0. The healing tool works similar and is good for cleaning up skin tones.

Select the tool (hotkey - S), point to a "clean" part of the image and hit Alt-click. Now go to the "trash" part of your beach and click and paint. This will paint the trash out with the "clean" area you first clicked.

You will probably have to Alt-click/paint multiple times, use the opacity and blur options to make sure you don't end up with a pattern that looks just like the "clean" section.

Before you do this, either copy your beach layer or duplicate the image so you don't ruin the original. The history tool only goes back so far.