Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can I Name My iPod Playlists?

Old 12-11-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can I Name My iPod Playlists?

Anyone know? As of now, they are called "On the Go" and they are numbered 1-5. But can I re-name them "Slow Songs" or "Christmas Songs" etc?

Doesn't seem like I can, but I don't know why Apple wouldn't allow me to do this. Thanks.
Old 12-11-05, 03:05 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought you could rename them?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93911
Old 12-11-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

you could make playlists on your pc, then load them onto your ipod.

birrman54
Old 12-13-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just connect your iPod while running iTunes, and when it shows your iPod and playlists, right click on the name, click rename and call it whatever you'd like.
Old 12-13-05, 01:41 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Just connect your iPod while running iTunes, and when it shows your iPod and playlists, right click on the name, click rename and call it whatever you'd like.
That works. And this will convert the On-The-Go playlist into a regular playlist (which is what the OP is trying to do, I think) and remove it from On-The-Go status (temp status). If your iPod is setup to sync only certain playlists, then this playlist will be removed from your iPod and reside in your iTunes only, unless you go into iPod options and add this playlist; the song files will still be in your iPod, but the playlist won't be.

On-The-Go playlists are created from your iPod only, and they are always called On-The-Go.
Old 12-13-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I figured right-clicking would work, but I've tried to do that and have gotten nothing. There's no option, when I right click my "on the go playlist," to re-name that playlist to something else.
Old 12-13-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I figured right-clicking would work, but I've tried to do that and have gotten nothing. There's no option, when I right click my "on the go playlist," to re-name that playlist to something else.
At a bare minimum, can't you create a new playlist, name it what you want, copy the tunes to it, and then delete the old one?
Old 12-13-05, 03:23 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Actually, it's not a right click. It's click on it once to highlight. Pause. Click on it again to rename.
Old 12-14-05, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Namja's right. Connect the iPod to your PC, then when your iPod appears in the source list on the left, single-click on the playlist you want to rename. This works the same way as renaming any other file on a PC.

On the Go playlists are playlists you create on the iPod itself by clicking and holding the select button. The easier way to create playlists is within iTunes itself, by going to File -> New Playlist, naming the playlist, and simply dragging songs over to it. You can then drag songs into whatever order you want.