Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best DSLR for the price?

Old 12-10-05, 10:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Best DSLR for the price?

I'm looking into getting into photography as a hobby. My interest will be mainly photographing people. What is considered the best DSLR for the buck these days since I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible but have a camera that takes really nice photos.

Thanks
Old 12-10-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Canon DRebel 350XT and Canon EF 50mm f1.8 lens.
Old 12-10-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The canon SLR...not sure which is the newest model.

-p
Old 12-11-05, 12:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by zuffy
Canon DRebel 350XT and Canon EF 50mm f1.8 lens.
Here's the closest thing I can find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120030

It comes with the EF-S 18-55mm Lens, would it be better to just buy the body and get the 50mm f1.8 Lens seperately?
Old 12-11-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Better, depends. You might want to use the EF-S. But if you buy just the body and the 50mm separately, it'd be cheaper, although only for a few bucks.

For me, the 18-55 is a mediocre lens, but it does helpful sometimes, especially when I need a wide shot.
Old 12-11-05, 03:53 AM

I just got a 350XT a couple weeks ago.. I was very dissapointed that it doesn't have an LCD preview for shots. I use a shooting table, and I'd love to have the ability to see that my manual white balance changes before taking 20 shots..
Old 12-11-05, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nikon D50, 50mm 1.8 AF-D

If you care about picture quality, stay away from the zoom lenses (or unless you have a couple of grand to buy the high quality ones). Go with fast prime lenses.
Old 12-11-05, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by teamwinfan
I just got a 350XT a couple weeks ago.. I was very dissapointed that it doesn't have an LCD preview for shots. I use a shooting table, and I'd love to have the ability to see that my manual white balance changes before taking 20 shots..
afaik most DSLR doesn't have LCD preview. For white balance, a few higher end camera (Nikon D2 series in particular) has white balance sensor.
Old 12-11-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You shouldn't have bought a DSLR then because there is currently ZERO DSLRs with a live LCD preview. The closest thing is this Euporean company released this product that has a tiny LCD attach to the viewfinder. Currently, it is not avialable in the US. Of course, you can always order oversea. It's in the mid $100 range if I remember correctly.
Old 12-11-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Here's the closest thing I can find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120030

It comes with the EF-S 18-55mm Lens, would it be better to just buy the body and get the 50mm f1.8 Lens seperately?
If you don't need wide, then I would skip the lens even though it's only $50-70 more for the 18-55 lens.
Old 12-11-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Personally, I love my Pentax *ist DS that I got with an 18-55 mm lens for ~$600 from Dell in August. It is 6 MP and takes very nice pictures in RAW mode. What really sells me on the camera, though, is the feel. To me, the Rebel XT feels like a cheap piece of molded plastic while the Nikon D70 feels too bulky. My suggestion is to go to a store that lets you try the cameras for yourself ... you might find you like/can't stand the feel of teh camera, regardless of price.
Old 12-11-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been looking at the Nikon and the Canon as well. There is a local photo shop that was selling the canon body only for 499 last week. It was one of those only 5 per day kind of things. I noticed Costco has the Nikon D50 as follows

Nikon D50 6.1MP 2.0"
Up to $180 in Rebates
18-55mm & 55-200mm
Battery & Charger
Compatible with all
AF-S Lenses
$899.99

and

previous product product scrolling next product
Canon Rebel XT 8.0MP
$285 in Rebates
18-55mm & 75-300mm
iP6220D Printer
Battery & Charger 1.8" LCD
Compatible with more than
50 EF and EF-S Lenses
$1,184.99
Old 12-11-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Personally, I love my Pentax *ist DS that I got with an 18-55 mm lens for ~$600 from Dell in August. It is 6 MP and takes very nice pictures in RAW mode. What really sells me on the camera, though, is the feel. To me, the Rebel XT feels like a cheap piece of molded plastic while the Nikon D70 feels too bulky. My suggestion is to go to a store that lets you try the cameras for yourself ... you might find you like/can't stand the feel of teh camera, regardless of price.
Me too. I love my *ist DS.

The kit lens (18-55) kicks ass. Get the 50MM prime lens for $200 and a telemacro and you've got a great setup that is much cheaper than the Rebel.

Costco sells it, BTW.
Old 12-11-05, 03:40 PM

Eh, well.. I needed a digital SLR... so I guess I am going to have to live without. It's a pain in the ass, but I guess I can deal. At least the card can hold enough photos that it doesn't matter if I take 20 shots to get the WB proper..
Old 12-11-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do you need a DSLR? Also, why aren't you using custom WB so you have the correct WB or just shoot in RAW so WB selection is a non-issue?
Old 12-11-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Me too. I love my *ist DS.

The kit lens (18-55) kicks ass. Get the 50MM prime lens for $200 and a telemacro and you've got a great setup that is much cheaper than the Rebel.

Costco sells it, BTW.
I'm curious why you chose it over the Nikon or Canon equivalents? I'm just wondering because there are far more Nikon and Canon lenses out there, which makes the pricing much better, IMO. The 50mm 1.8 AF-D Nikon can be had for under $100. It's about the best 50mm lens you can get. But it's cheap because there are so friggin many of them.
Old 12-12-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zuffy
or just shoot in RAW so WB selection is a non-issue?
Agreed, if you shoot RAW, you don't need to worry about WB. Adjust it to whatever you like on your computer after the fact.

In my experience in JPEG, if the WB is even REMOTELY close, you can fix it and it looks just fine.
Old 12-12-05, 01:30 AM

Ok, I just installed Aperture so I guess I will mess with the RAW files. I'll give it a spin. I am using the camera mainly for stock photography. Previously, I had an Olympus C-750 and it just wasn't up to par image quality wise to what I wanted. A lot of the darker shots would come up with a lot of noise all over the picture. I still have a TON of learning to do with this camera.
Old 12-12-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hahn
I'm curious why you chose it over the Nikon or Canon equivalents? I'm just wondering because there are far more Nikon and Canon lenses out there, which makes the pricing much better, IMO. The 50mm 1.8 AF-D Nikon can be had for under $100. It's about the best 50mm lens you can get. But it's cheap because there are so friggin many of them.
The Pentax will take most of Pentax's old lenses, so there are some oldies but goodies to be had for fairly cheap.

Oh, and another reason I chose the Pentax ... it runs off of AA batteries instead of proprietary ones that cost a fortune to replace.
Old 12-12-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hahn
The *ist:
- was at least $200 cheaper than the D70 and $250-$300 cheaper than the Rebel when I bought it. This was (obviously) a huge factor. I used the money left over to buy other lenses.
-includes probably the best kit lens of the bunch, the 18-55 is very, very sharp and extremely flexible.
-has a much larger and nicer viewfinder than either. This was the second most important thing.
-is smaller and easier to deal with than either
-produces superb images that can equal either camera
-is much more "solid" feeling than the Canon, IMO
-has great ergonomics that I prefer to the Canon (but not the Nikon's excellent setup). It's a very easy camera to use but doesn't skimp of funtionality.

Of course you can't really go wrong with any of these cameras, I just happened to prefer the Pentax.
Old 12-12-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely whatever the latest Canon Digital Rebel is... Canon has a great selection of lenses, and their point-n-shoot line can't be beat as well. Just upgraded from a S400 to a SD550 myself. Canon also has a GREAT line of underwater housings and accessories too.
Old 12-12-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Oh, and another reason I chose the Pentax ... it runs off of AA batteries instead of proprietary ones that cost a fortune to replace.
They sell generic lithoium batteries for Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. for extremely cheap prices. They work very well too. The only advantage of AA is that they are available everywhere if your batteries ever die.
Old 12-12-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I just installed Aperture so I guess I will mess with the RAW files. I'll give it a spin. I am using the camera mainly for stock photography. Previously, I had an Olympus C-750 and it just wasn't up to par image quality wise to what I wanted. A lot of the darker shots would come up with a lot of noise all over the picture. I still have a TON of learning to do with this camera.
For stock you have to shoot Raw anyway. I don't knoiw of any which accept jpegs. Most (and the one I submit to) want fat Tiff files. If you wish to share...Which company do you plan to submit to?
Old 01-30-06, 11:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

So what's the difference between a 20D and the Rebel XT? They seem so similar.

Will all of these DSLRs be outdated when full frame sensors become the norm? Is that far off?
Old 01-31-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s350d&show=all
Biggest differences are the 20D gives you more control over focus and exposure modes, allows for more customization, etc. It's also faster, both FPS and total time to take a picture. (From mirror flip up to mirror flip down)

They won't be outdated. I think full-frame is still a few years off. Canon's latest full-frame camera, the EOS 5D, came out a few months ago. It's ONLY $3,300. The Digital Rebel XT is under $900. The current cameras, at 8 MP, are really more than enough for what their owners use them for. I was happy with my old Digital Rebel's 6MP, honestly. Making a full-frame chip with only 8MP seems silly, to me. On the same hand, unless you do alot of cropping, you don't need the 12+ MP of a full-frame unless you're doing professional work, mainly studio.

Many people feel Canon will be sticking with the 1.6x format for their "prosumer" line, and using full-frame for their pro line. The biggest piece of evidence for this is the EF-S lens format and the fact that they keep releasing lenses for that mount. Right now, there are two different versions of the 18-55mm floating around, a 17-85mm IS USM "walk around" lens, and a 60mm macro lens. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple others at the upcoming PMA show.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.