Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hard Drive Issues any solutions?

Old 12-09-05, 08:41 AM

Hard Drive Issues any solutions?

A few days ago my comp refused to stay on for more than 20min & would shut down. I was able to reboot with no issues until it shut down again. I was preparing to copy off all files. The other day upon start up, I would get the windows boot up screen with the status bar scrolling. At the point where it should go to the login screen it would flash a blue screen with a message for less than a sec & reboot. I can not read it due to how fast is flashes the message.

I opened up the case and blew out any dust & replaced the power supply. I reseated all cables to rule out anything. When the comp is restarted I get a usual update of what drives are found ie the dvd burner, cd burner & my secondary hd (maxtor) but not the primary. In bios it does show on auto test the primary which is a WD. I can hear the hd spin at a moderate to high speed with just 1 clicking sound.

Upon reading many posts here & running search i will be doing the following tonight; change out the ide cable, disconnect all peripheal cards & addt'l cd rom drives & I will switch the primary with the secondary. But I am confused if I need to install xp on the secondary? Following that I will put the primary into another machine as a secondary to see if I can read it.

Is there anything else I should do or try including the freezer method? I am assuming I have a bad boot sector since I do get the bootup screen.
Old 12-09-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I understood what was happening correctly, then yes, you will need to install XP onto the secondary HD. Otherwise you won't have an OS to boot into.

You could also install XP onto the secondary drive, change the boot order, then examine the failing HD. This would save you the trouble of installing it into another system.
Old 12-09-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you get into safe mode? You can turn off the reboot on blue screen, by getting into System Properties>Advanced>Startup & Recovery Settings and take the check out of "Automatically restart". You can read the blue screen error then.

Try running chkdisk or the disc scan tool from safe mode or by using the XP recovery mode from the CD.
Old 12-09-05, 12:21 PM

thanks, I will try that.
Old 12-12-05, 07:33 AM

using the XP recovery mode from the CD, it asks me for the admin password.

I don't know what the password is as I never had a log on name. Is there any way to bypass that. Is it burnt on the cd?

Also I can not get into safe mode at all.
Old 12-12-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you build this machine yourself, or did you buy it? If you built it yourself, and installed Windows XP yourself, you would have set up the Admin password yourself. Setting one up is a must during the installation, so even if you don't remember setting one up...you did, unless someone else installed Windows on that machine. Try using some of your normal passwords, or even "password".
Old 12-12-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you tried a blank password?
Old 12-12-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if Windows would let you leave the password blank while installing, but if so...that's a good idea.

Also, the password would not have been pre-existing on the CD, and I'm not familiar with any ways to bypass it...although I'm sure Google can offer some things to try.
Old 12-12-05, 03:14 PM

I will try all the above mentioned & report back.

I have tried "password" & I built the system myself.
Old 12-12-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It could also be an issue with differences in the Service Packs on your current install and the XP disc you're using:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402

If you have access to another computer with a CD burner, you can burn a copy of Bart's PE, which basically gives you a semi-functional XP install that runs direct from CD with diagnostics, tools, and a simple explorer interface to access your files when you cant boot up normally or to safe mode. You can run the chkdisc tools from there and hope for the best. It's a great tool.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4007.html
Old 12-14-05, 06:56 AM

Well, I switched & loaded XP onto my 2nd hard drive, made it the primary & hooked up the corrupted hd. I was able to recover my files. Thanks to all who helped.

Now I have 2 questions. The 2nd hd that has a fresh XP on it, I want to remove xp & keep it as the 2nd hd, how do I remove xp alone? Do I have to reformat the hd?

The other question is, do I keep the orig bad boot sector hd & reformat & reload xp & keep it as my primary? Should I trust the western digital hd or just get a new 1 and keep the old as additional storage?