Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Network problem using Homplug ethernet bridges

Old 12-08-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Network problem using Homplug ethernet bridges

I am trying to get 3 computers to share the internet. I have one D-Link four port router and 3 Gigafast Homeplug ethernet bridges.

As per the instructions I hooked up one ethernet bridge to the router and one ethernet bridge to a computer. This has worked fine for over a year now. I needed to hook up a 3rd computer to the internet. The instructions for the Homeplug ethernet bridge don't say anything about the max number of computers you can hook up at one time. So I bought another bridge and hooked it up to the third computer. Now I get windows error saying there is a conflict with IP addresses.

I checked the router and it says I have 3 devices attached. They have the IP's of 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4. Now I checked the IP's of all the computers using IPCONFIG and they each computer has different IP's. The same IP's as above.

So why do I keep getting this error? The internet will work fine on all three for a few min but then I get the IP conflict error for the IP of 192.168.0.2. Do I need to set up static IP's on all three computers?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-08-05, 11:25 AM
X
Administrator

The Homeplug devices have IPs? If so, I don't think the computers should have the same IPs as the Homeplugs. Wouldn't hurt to try some static IPs.
Old 12-08-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
The Homeplug devices have IPs? If so, I don't think the computers should have the same IPs as the Homeplugs. Wouldn't hurt to try some static IPs.
No the homeplug's dont have IP's. The computers do. At first I thought you would need two homeplug's for each computer. One hooked up the computer and the other hooked up to the router. But the instructions and the Gigafast website don't say anything about that. They say one homeplug per computer. I may have to call tech support. (shudder!)
Old 12-08-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I found out what I need to do. I need to put a switch between the router and the first homeplug device. I'll leave this up in case anyone else has the same problem some day. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-08-05, 12:00 PM
X
Administrator

The Homeplug devices have MAC addresses. I'd be surprised if they didn't communicate via TCP/IP and thus have IPs.
Old 12-08-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
The Homeplug devices have MAC addresses. I'd be surprised if they didn't communicate via TCP/IP and thus have IPs.

You're probably right.