Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sending zip folder with YouSendIt?

Old 12-07-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sending zip folder with YouSendIt?

This is driving me insane. I've sent files through YouSendIt.com with no problems. But now I want to send a folder with some files. I am having problems with either trying to send a folder zipped or not zipped. I have Windows XP and every time I try to select the folder for YouSendIt the folder opens up to reveal the files (but I don't want the folder to open by selecting "select"). Not sure if this is making sense. Basically, if what I have is a file it will "load" onto YouSendIt's page. But I can't get a folder to "load" through their browse feature.

Any ideas here?
Old 12-07-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rename it and change the extension?
Old 12-07-05, 08:54 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i did the following just now and it worked:
right click on folder -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder -> uploaded zip file to yousendit
Old 12-08-05, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HN
i did the following just now and it worked:
right click on folder -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder -> uploaded zip file to yousendit
I can do the first few steps, but it's the upload that is causing problems. What exactly did you do for the upload step? When you right click on the zip folder you see an "upload" option? I think I might have a setting out of whack.
Old 12-08-05, 11:38 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I can do the first few steps, but it's the upload that is causing problems. What exactly did you do for the upload step? When you right click on the zip folder you see an "upload" option? I think I might have a setting out of whack.
Did not have to right-click. on the yousendit page, i clicked "Browse" button and then selected the zip.
Old 12-08-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HN
Did not have to right-click. on the yousendit page, i clicked "Browse" button and then selected the zip.
Really? I wonder why the hell I can't do this? If I click on Browse then click on the zip folder it only opens it instead of putting it in the YouSendIt space. Maybe stevevt was right and I need to change the extension (?)
Old 12-11-05, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Really? I wonder why the hell I can't do this? If I click on Browse then click on the zip folder it only opens it instead of putting it in the YouSendIt space. Maybe stevevt was right and I need to change the extension (?)
It sounds like you are not 'zipping' the folder, but just compression the contents inside. When you do 'zip' it, you should have 1 file only, not a folder. YSI only allows one file to be uploaded, so if it is still a 'folder' as you refer it to, that would totally explain why it is acting like that. You should have one file called [Name of folder].zip and probably have a zip icon and not a folder.
Old 12-11-05, 02:51 PM
lxl

I am not sure I understand original question, I just try to guess: may be it's caused by MS' builtin zip folder? you can disable it:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...ipsupport.html
Old 12-11-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

lxl, thanks. It looks like I'm not the only person with this zip-folder "problem". I'll look into their registry command info.