Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Calendar or Journal program?

Old 12-06-05, 01:28 PM

Calendar or Journal program?

Up to now, I've been keeping track of things (ski days, exercise, family events, etc.) on my Outlook calendar, but its cumbersome at best. I've searched the web, and there's hundreds of programs available.

Can anyone recommend a good journal or calendar program from persoanl experience? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-05, 02:51 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rainlendar

Sunbird
Old 12-07-05, 12:13 AM

Sunbird (standalone calendar by Mozilla)
Firefox Calendar extension (same as above, but through Firefox)
Thunderbird Calendar extension (same as Sunbird, but through Thunderbird, I use this since it allows email notifications/alarms unlike the above 2)

All three are basically the same. I've setup the Thunderbird extension to sync it's calendar with my webspace, so when I load up calendar on my pc, laptop, or at work, they're all in sync. Which is pretty helpful. They follow the iCal standard, so you can use other calendar programs with your ical calendar file (like Apple's calendar solution and ton's others, just google for em).

You can always use WebCalendar if you have web host and don't mind installing it yourself onto the server. You can then use your calendar from a browser. I hear it's the "best" web-based calendar.
Old 12-07-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

do you want to share this with others? i think yahoo! calendar can be used pretty well, but it has strong limitations like not being able to color code certain things. the big plus is that yahoo is free.

if you have your own domain, you may want to consider something like webcalendar.
Old 12-09-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The stupid Calendar extension for Thunderbird doesn't work because it is not compatible with Firefox 1.5. doh!

-p
Old 12-09-05, 07:00 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's another one:
EssentialPIM
(there's a free and "Pro"-not free version)
Old 06-11-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has there been anything new? I'm thinking about using Lighting and Rainlendar together. Oh Lightning is Sunbird as an extension.
Old 06-11-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The girlfriend and I *love* using 30boxes.

http://www.30boxes.com
Old 06-13-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hmmm 30boxes has my interest. Wasn't really looking for a online one but what the hell.

Anybody try Airset? It is like 30 boxes but can also sync with outlook, palm, and cell phones. I think I might give both a try. The only bad part of both is neither has a task manager notifier like outlook. You something that makes a window pop up and say you have a meeting in 5 minutes. Then you have the option to clear the task or snooze on the task for x amount of minutes.
Old 06-13-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True, true. But they do have e-mail/text message notificaitons.

The really nice thing that we like about 30boxes is that you can lay calendars on top of each other. So for example, if I have a baseball game and wanted to know if my girlfriend was working that day, I just turn on her calendar (really it's always on) and take a look.

I have a lot of friends on there as well. It's super easy to schedule group outings when everybody uses it.

They also allow RSS feeds so any feed from iCal I can dump into my calendar.

Last edited by ChiTownAbs, Inc; 06-13-07 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-13-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually prefer Google Calendar. Allows my wife and I to share calendars, put our kids' events on separate lists, and there are tons of public calendars you can add.