Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question About Ping and Latency.

Old 12-05-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Question About Ping and Latency.

I am using two pieces of software that have ping ratings involved. The first is Emule. My Ping tends to be around the 100 level, so is it better for me to use one of the servers on Emule that has a high ping or a low ping? Or does it not even matter? I have been using one that has a low ping and things seem to be fine but just wanted to check.

I am also playing Counter Strike: Source. Is there any way that i can reduce the level of latency/ping so that it provides better gameplay? It works well, but some times my ping goes crazy and i get kicked out of servers. I think that the level of ping/latency is based upon how far away your currently away from the server....is this correct? I am using a 512/256 DSL connection and am not happy with it, so am gonna change in the new year to cable.
Old 12-05-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In regards to ping, lower is always faster. Ping time is nothing more than the time it takes for a packet of data to travel from your PC, to the destination and back. Lower number means faster connection.
Old 12-05-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ping time shouldn't matter for emule. The main factor there is the number of clients connected to the hub, since more clients means more potential sources.

I don't know how much you can do to lower your ping for games, a lot of it is out of your control. Perhaps there are some network tweaks you can do, check a site like dslreports.com .
Old 12-05-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
If you are getting decent pings sometimes, then there's not really much you can do to improve your latency. Line speed and latency are two different things, but they are both affected by each and every piece of equipment in the chain from your PC to the remote server. The busier each item is, the worse your ping may grow, and in a few cases depending on the game's server code, one player with horrible latency can bring the pain to the other people there, causing lag spikes galore on the server itself. You really shouldn't notice a difference in latency from DSL to cable. If you do, someone isn't or wasn't doing their job. At work (I am a network engineer at a local college) we suffer from bandwidth saturation issues and when we fill up our pipe I can see the latency climb. As part of the troubleshooting I do, I note router loads across the globe and it is plain to see that regional latencies peak with usage, as each hop adds its little bit of lag to the packets. I had an issue with latency on my cable service and found out by talking to my man on the inside (a tech whose sister I used to date) that they had oversold broadband service in my area and were dragging their feet putting in new equipment and splitting it out to additional nodes. The lag spikes I was suffering were due to too many clients on one neighborhood router. A nightmare that I hope doesn't recur anytime soon. I concur with wmansir's recommendation that you visit dslreports. Run some of their tests, get on the forums and look around, you know the drill. Recent studies indicate that while 75% of all emails are SPAM, that only makes up 10% or less of internet traffic; some estimate that P2P filesharing makes up 60 to 80% of internet traffic. Yikes! The infrastructure of the Commodity Internet" is not keeping up with demand, which is one of the reasons the universities screamed for Internet2 and NLR/Internet3. Good Luck!

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 12-05-05 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the advice everyone. Some really interesting information you have given me. I will stick with things the waythey are until the New Year. I am still a little uncertain as to whether it is worth changing to Cable or not. I am definately not happy with my DSL service (i am living in Puerto Rico at the moment and the service through the main telephone company is bloody horrible), so i may move over to use Adelphia's cable internet. But i havn't really heard much about this service and whether it is worth changing to. The only thing that is making me decide to change is that i have the current connection of 512 kbps download whereas cable offers 3mbps download.

What do you guys think is the best move?