Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Samsung LN-R238W 23" widescreen LCDTV

Old 12-05-05, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Samsung LN-R238W 23" widescreen LCDTV

hey everyone this sammy has a normal vga port on it for use as a computer monitor which i'll be using it as my monitor for my windows mce2005 machine. i'm wondering if anyone knows if i could use the computer through the HDMI port with a DVI-D to HDMI cable. of if the HDMI is only for use with set top boxes which use DVI-I i think? not sure. anyway any input would be great.
Old 12-06-05, 03:24 PM
Banned

I have this monitor. I use the reg VGA cable for my pc.....I also set my graphics card (which I had to upgrade) to the native 1360x768 resolution so windows appears correctly (and not stretched).

I don't see why you cannot use a DVI-HDMI cable from the PC graphics card as long as it has a DVI out port. I know you can use DVI-HDMI cable from a DVI out on a STB, so why not a PC?
Old 12-06-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah thats what i was trying to see if anyone else knew. the different types of DVI use different pins for different stuff. as far as my graphics card i've got an x800xt that will natively support 720p or 1080i or p if the display supports it so that is great. it has the HDTV option and then 720p and 1080 show up in display properties like normal screen res.

anyway i gotta ask man do video games and movies look awesome on this tv or what? i'm overly excited to have the fedex man bring it to me.
Old 12-06-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MACD23
I have this monitor. I use the reg VGA cable for my pc.....I also set my graphics card (which I had to upgrade) to the native 1360x768 resolution so windows appears correctly (and not stretched).

I don't see why you cannot use a DVI-HDMI cable from the PC graphics card as long as it has a DVI out port. I know you can use DVI-HDMI cable from a DVI out on a STB, so why not a PC?
Hey, what do you think of this set as a computer monitor? I was thinking about getting the 26 inch one.
Old 12-06-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'll tell you as soon as i get to use it, damn fedex man didn't bring it yet lol. i'll post some pictures as soon as it gets here.
Old 12-12-05, 11:02 PM

pics?
Old 12-26-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Corleone
pics?