Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Where to find old chkdsk files?

Old 12-04-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where to find old chkdsk files?

I filled one of my hard drives to the brim, and up disk clean up, it said I had a sizable amount of data being used for these. I premember in past OS's the files used to be located in the root folder with something inocuous like a .001 extension (iirc). However in the harddrive root folder there is nothing but other sub folder. Nor even hidden files. I am worried about losing actual usable data if I allow dis cleanup to delete these. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-04-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You have to boot up off the XP cd and enter the rescue console. Then you can run chkdsk from in there.
Old 12-04-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So the chkdsk files are for sure not something I can see from inside my windows installation? If that is the case, I wouldn't have a problem allowed disk clean up to delete the files, as anything I am sure I want to keep I can view.
Old 12-05-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These files are only if you run the command line chkdsk with the /f switch, and when it asks you to convert the lost chains to files, you say yes. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to worry about these files being created and hiding somewhere.
Old 12-05-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No what I am saying is that after filling up one of my disks the disk clean up has stated that I do have them. But they aren't what or where I remember them to be (in the root folder). I didn't want to risk cleaning up the files if it was wrong and for some reason it deleted data that I wanted to keep.