Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Reccomend me a nice color printer

Old 12-04-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reccomend me a nice color printer

Looking for gift ideas, someone that does a lot of photography, and would like a color printer to print photos. I don't really want to spend more than 300 or so, but if I have to I will.

Oh, and this person uses a MAC OS X tiger with an Imac.
Old 12-04-05, 11:29 AM

The Epson Stylus Photo R200 is a GREAT printer! It's under $100 at Best Buy and Sam's Club. It's quiet, and does an extremely good job printing photos. It uses six ink cartridges, but can buy third party ink for cheap (All six cartridges are less than $22). The extra feature of this printer is that it prints directly on "printable" cds and dvds. Don't have to mess with sticky labels. I have this printer. If it quits working , I'll get another one......
The cheap ink comes from here: private.abacus24-7.com/(ekznl5qxlvrqzfemvc5qfgjs)/driver.aspx?topic=singleProduct&pid=11304
Copy and paste the address, starting with the word private. There is no www in the address.

There is also an R300 model and some others...............
Good luck!
Old 12-04-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to thread hijack too much, but I'm currently looking for ink for my Epson CX6600. How is the quality of that ink emoxlev? I'm mostly concerned about photo print quality.

huh?,

Are you looking for any specific type of printer? Photo printer, all-in-one, just standard? I'm pretty happy with the CX6600 as an AIO, but I've heard very good things about the Canon Pixma line.

Personally I like Canon and Epson because they have cheaper ink, both from the mfg and third party ink, because they don't sell you a new print head with every cart like Lexmark and HP. Of course, some people like getting a new print head with every cart.
Old 12-04-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got a Canon Pixma IP 5200 that's absolutely fantastic.

I hate Epson because of their ridiculous ink cartridges.
Old 12-04-05, 05:29 PM

The Abacus ink has worked very well for me and others. It looks as good and lasts as long as the Epson ink. I'll be buying it from now on. Can't beat the price (for MY printer).
Good luck!

Shazam..........
What is so rediculous about Epson ink cartridges? I haven't found any better for ease of putting in and taking out. I have an HP all-in-one printer. Since buying the Epson, the HP is only used for scanning...............
Old 12-04-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up bying some ink from Swift ink since they had a 35% off Epson code (ANAND35 I think), and I hear it is pretty good quality. I only needed 1 black cart, but for less than the price Staples for wanted for that one cart I got 2 black, + 2 of each color.
Old 12-04-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is so rediculous about Epson ink cartridges?
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,113112,00.asp
Old 12-04-05, 10:41 PM

I'd also caution on the purchase of Epson printers. Their ink cartridges tend to clog really quick when not in use over a period of few days. Then you have to use the self-cleaning mode which consumes ink.

I have a Stylus 80 Photo Printer and it consumes ink like water. Even when I print using black and white mode, it still uses a little of the color cartridge and I'm not sure why. I've printed a few digital photos and while the quality turned out great on photo paper, I felt it wasn't worth the cost of the photo paper and the amount of ink that's used in printing a photo.

The printer was cheap (less than $100), but I've spent so much on ink cartridges that I'm going to look into getting a different printer

Actually, getting digital prints at stores like Wal-mart/Target is cheaper.
Old 12-05-05, 06:43 AM

My printer doesn't seem to have the problem in the link that Shazam gave. When I get the low ink warning, I click on "let me know again later", and it takes forever, for the ink to run out. I got a low ink warning, on two of the cartridges, two weeks ago, and it's still printing good.

As cheap as the Abacus ink is, I wouldn't care if it left a little ink in the bottom of the cartridge. Like Epson said, about the charges against them: "Epson responds that a safety reserve of ink remains inside its cartridges after they expire to prevent damage that can occur to the print head if the cartridge runs dry."
I definately don't want my print head damaged! We own two Epsons. The R200 for the pc, and a 740i for our iMac. Never been a problem with either one. I'll definately buy another one, when needed.

The suit against them is stupid. People just love to sue. They think it's easy money. Everybody wants something for nothing. It's like that woman that sued McDonalds, when she spilled coffee in her lap. It was her own stupidity! Sure the coffee was hot. I want my coffee to be hot............. And smokers suing the tobacco companies. No one held a gun to their heads and MADE them smoke. Any IDIOT knows that if you inhale the smoke from burning leaves, it's GOT to be bad for you! I smoked for 40 years, and it was MY doing.............not the tobacco company's.
Anyway, you get the idea, about people just love to sue other people. I have better things to do, than whine about a few drops of ink being left in a cartridge..........
Another ink cartridge is cheaper than another printer.
Old 12-05-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Epson responds that a safety reserve of ink remains inside its cartridges after they expire to prevent damage that can occur to the print head if the cartridge runs dry."
Do you have proof that this is actually true? Seeing as how printer ink is more expensive than Dom Perignon gram for gram, maybe Epson isn't being so fortright about what their intentions are?

I'm glad you enjoy your Epson, but I'd recommend Canon over them if someone is buying a new printer.

like that woman that sued McDonalds, when she spilled coffee in her lap. It was her own stupidity! Sure the coffee was hot. I want my coffee to be hot.............
A quick Google search brings this up: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm
Old 12-05-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My printer doesn't seem to have the problem in the link that Shazam gave. When I get the low ink warning, I click on "let me know again later", and it takes forever, for the ink to run out. I got a low ink warning, on two of the cartridges, two weeks ago, and it's still printing good.
Oh, and how do you know that the ink cartridge is truly empty? Epson cartridges are opaque.

My Canon cartridges are transparent. I know exactly when they're empty, and when my printer says my ink is gone, it's gone - because I can see the ink amount, and there ain't any left.