Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have or use on of those tomtom portable GPS?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-03-05, 03:40 PM
Banned

I am thinking about getting one for my car.

Reviews?

www.tomtom.com
Old 12-03-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't personally have/use the Tom Tom but I have the Garmin C320 Street Pilot which is just like it & I absolutely love it! I use it daily and it's less expensive than the Tom Tom. I like the voice prompts and it's really quick to automatically recalculate if you make a wrong turn. I have 4 states on a 256mb SD card.

I bought mine from Amazon.com in early October. Link

Sonic
Old 12-05-05, 12:06 PM

Go with a Garmin, it has voice capability so the lady in the box actually tells you where to turn, and trust me, listening to a voice is MUCH better than glancing at a screen when you're lost in the middle of a busy city.
Old 12-06-05, 03:25 PM
Banned

I was under the impression the tomtom talked as well...I'll look into the Garmin.
Thanks
Old 12-06-05, 06:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spooon69
Go with a Garmin, it has voice capability so the lady in the box actually tells you where to turn, and trust me, listening to a voice is MUCH better than glancing at a screen when you're lost in the middle of a busy city.
Sorry, but millions of idiot drivers disagree with you.
Old 01-22-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have been using the Garmin 2720 for several weeks now and am very happy with it. The only shortcomings I've had with it are;

Pulling up to a building, it always assumes the driveway is directly in front. So when you pull past and go into the parking lot it thinks you're in a field. No problem until you go to leave then it is a little confusing which way to start off.

The estimated time of arrival is impossible. It assumes you'll be driving 75 mph and never stop for gas or food. I guess no one at garmin ever has to pee. It doesn't account for surface roads v. highway. Ignore it.

Just once did it tell me my location was on the wrong side of the road. Other than that it's always on the mark.