Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ipod help.

Old 12-02-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Ipod help.

Is there a way to disable the ipod from pausing when the earphones come out? I lock mine so that it can't have a button hit on accident, but on occasion the jack must come a little lose and it pauses. The jack doesn't actually come out, so it must be sensitive, but this means that I generally have to undo some clothing because I have the ipod hidden, work the lock switch, which is a pain with the sleeve I keep it in, etc.

Anyone know of a way to disable that?
Old 12-03-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think so, I've looked for ways around this too and lots of people are griping about it. Another case of Apple sticking us with a 'clever' feature.

If it gets bad you can do what this guy did. http://www.camerahobby.com/Misc_PocketDock.htm
Old 12-04-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Looks like a neat idea, but then I would need an external amp. Seems like something that should be able to be fixed with just a firmware update, doesn't it? Such is the "joy" of the ipod, I suppose. They know what's best for you.

Oh hell, still the best player out there, but it is annoying.
Old 12-04-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, I love that feature. I'm forever yanking out my headphones and I love that it pauses while I fix them. I can see where it could be a hassle though in that situation.
Old 12-04-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure when they introduced this feature, but I was surprised by it when I got my nano. My 2nd gen player did not pause when you pulled out the headphones. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I kind of like it.
Old 12-04-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Looks like a neat idea, but then I would need an external amp. Seems like something that should be able to be fixed with just a firmware update, doesn't it? Such is the "joy" of the ipod, I suppose. They know what's best for you.

Oh hell, still the best player out there, but it is annoying.
Yes, bow down to the Apple, Dave.

It certainly seems like it would be an easy fix, like you said. It should at least be a customizeable option. I find it annoying that it turns on when I plug my headphones in. I don't always want it on when I'm plugging them in. I can turn it on easily enough myself.