Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cannot get modem to connect...help!

Old 12-01-05, 11:36 PM

Cannot get modem to connect...help!

OK, Here is my situation. I am moving into a new home. My computer connected to the internet at my old home fine. Now when I try to connect, it tells me that the remote computer is not responding. I have tried about 10 different access numbers and even another ISP (Netzero). I noticed that sometimes when it says "dialing".... it stops and a popup windows says that there has been a hardware failure with my modem. But here is the thing. When I have it dial the 1-800 # to get access #'s, it will connect fine and DL the access #'s like normal. But when I try to dial up to the internet, it will give me the erroe like before. Here are my specs:

Windows XP PRO
2.66GHz P4 512mb RAM
240GB HD.
ISP is Earthlink

I called there tech support and the Asin lady I talked to didn't know her butt from a hole in the ground and suggested that since the 1-800 # worked for me, I should use the 1-800 # for dial up internet. But it is 10 cents per minute. What an idiot.

Should I uninstall the modem and reinstall it and all the drivers? I just don't understand why it worked with the 1-800 #.

Can someone help me with some suggestions? Please don't tell me to get DSL. I can't get it in my area yet. That sucks!
Old 12-02-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably the dial up server glitch or something. When I'm still on dial up, my ISP have more than one dial number. So if 555-1234 line is full or have a glitch, I can switch to 555-4321 or so on.
Old 12-02-05, 10:46 PM

I have tried that, along with uninstalling it and loading it into a diferent COM port. I am going to go out and buy another modem tomorrow. I will post results.
Old 12-03-05, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about uninstalling/reinstalling TCP/IP protocols and Microsoft Network Client?
Old 12-06-05, 01:41 AM

I got it. But niw I am getting the Install error when installing Internet Security 2005. I see alot of people online posting about this. But no solution. This is the error:

Error: "Norton Internet Security 2005 installation has failed. Do you want to try to install again?"
Old 12-06-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i would run msconfig and disable all the non needed services and start from there. also i would call the phone company and have them come make sure that your line is clean enough for data transfer. just because voice sounds great doesn't mean that data transfer will work at all.

BTW depending on what services and patches you have Norton products (home not corprate) are a pain. Again I would run msconfig and turn off all the non microsoft services and then restart and try to install it usually works great and then after the restart just run msconfig again and turn things back on and restart again with protection.