Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video card messed up the power supply?

Old 12-01-05, 10:56 PM
Cool New Member

Video card messed up the power supply?

So I just installed an ATI Radeon X800GTO yesterday and after 10 mins of Call of Duty 2, the PC shuts down completely - the power switch doesn't work and I have to switch the power supply off and on to boot up the machine again. After this, the same thing happens when loading up any game as soon as it gets to some graphics-intensive stuff. And I also noticed the PS making clicking noises, sometimes it's rhythmic like if the fan is failing, other times it sounds like static cling. It's the same when I tried disconnecting everything non-essential to lessen the power load. Could the vid card have screwed up the PS from drawing too much wattage? Anyways.. what kind of wattage would I need to safely run my PC? Below is my specs.. nothing is overclocked. Current PS is a Coolmax 400W.

P4 3.0GHz Prescott on an MSI PT880LSR mobo
1 GB PC2100
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 GB HD
ATI Radeon X800GTO 256MB(AGP)
ATI HDTV Wonder
SB Audigy
Some Actiontec 56K modem
Asus DVD-ROM
Lite-On CD-RW
Some floppy drive
Canon scanner (has no AC plug, it draws power from the mobo's USB)
Old 12-02-05, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That sounds like the case. [edit: meaning you are correct in suspecting the additional demand from the video card is too much for your power supply. I didn't mean it sounds like a problem with your computer case. ] It is probably tripping a circuit, which is why you have to reset it before the computer turns on.

Some good brands for power supplies are: Sparkle, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, Coolmaster, Fortron, OCZ, Zippy, Power PC and Cooling.

Brands to avoid: Just about anything else. These cheap places change their badge names so quickly it's hard to keep up.

If you get a quality brand that can actually handle the advertised load then 400W should be fine.

Last edited by wmansir; 12-02-05 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-02-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, sounds like the X800 was the straw that broke the camels back. As wmansir stated a 400W from a good PS manufacturer should handle your rig.