Reload this Page >

Recommend Me: A New Keyboard

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-26-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm looking for a new keyboard. My current one is a 5 year old Logitech New Touch.

It's a solid standard keyboard, but I want a new fancy boy one. Mostly for the media buttons, but other dohickies are welcome, as long as they are actually useful.

Must haves:
A full size desktop board
Media keys
Solid build quality, I hate cheap flimsy keyboards
Not too noisey, doesn't have to be silent, but no clicking

Wants:
Other programmable keys
dohickies

Wishful thinking:
Ergonomic Split with palmrest.
Wireless
Integrated mouse, preferably touchpoint

Budget: up to $50

I've taken a look at the microsoft and Logitech lineups and browsed a few places like Newegg.

My current favorite is the keyboard that comes with the logitech MX3000/3100 wireless desktop set. EDIT: This pic is actually from the LX700 set, functionally the same but a little different from the MX3000 in terms of button placement/style and color.

I even checked it out at Staples on BF, and it seems solid. The only problem is I love my MX700 mouse, and logitech doesn't sell the board seperately, even as a wired version, and the mouse that comes with the MX3000 set is inferior. The MX3100 comes with a better mouse, but also costs $60 more. I'm also unsure if I could use my MX700 and the MX3000 together, even with seperate base stations I hear they can cause interference.

Another cool board, but really not an option is the Microsoft MCE keyboard.

It appears to only work with MCE, requires a MCE receiver. It also lacks the numberpad, which I would want, and it uses IR instead of radio, so I'm sure I would have line of sight issues at the desktop. Still, it's a cool looking peice of hardware.

Last edited by wmansir; 11-26-05 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-26-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dad has the wireless combo from Microsoft and it's pretty sleek:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...1-5dbef92442eb

However, I'm probably going to be getting their new wired keyboard shortly as my current one is so dirty it's downright ugly - though that adds to the charm me thinks.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...6789e&type=ovr

Old 11-26-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 4000 looks pretty good.

Here's a big picture with more detail.

I wish it had more media controls as it only has play/pause and volume. Since I have my scroll-lock hotkeyed to play/pause already, I'm not sure if it is worth the upgrade from my current board.

Does anyone have a board with the zoom feature all the new boards seem to have? Is it very useful, even in specific applications like photoshop?
Old 11-26-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Saitek Eclipse

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/eclipse.htm

http://www.extrememhz.com/eclipse-p1.shtml

froogle to find a current price, I got mine at best buy on sale a few weeks back for $40
Old 11-26-05, 07:37 PM

Logitech G15 very nice.
Old 11-26-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 700 appears to be on closeout at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...onics&v=glance
Nice set for $35 (after rebate). I saw it for over $100 in Best Buy just a month ago. Nice keyboard, reasonable mouse. I use it for the general use system and have Saitek Eclipse on the game system.
Old 11-26-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just comming here to put up a post on the G15. The thing is a monster.

Price aside, my main concern is the size. My current board is a bit longer than I would like at 20" long, and I've read the G15 is over 22".

I also checked out the Logitech media keyboard elite, which is similar to the MX3000 board, but lacking several features. It's cheap, but I also don't know what kind of build quality it has.

Oh, in case anyone is interested Amazon is having a Logitech sale, the MX3000 set is only $45 after rebate. The LX700, which appears to have same keyboard, but a even worse mouse, is $35, as is the MX1000 wireless mouse.

Last edited by wmansir; 11-26-05 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-26-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the post Easy. How do you like the LX700? Does it have any problems with gaming such as lag or dropped key strokes? I'm a light gamer, and I do play fps, but I'm not fanatical about it.
Old 11-26-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
How do you like the LX700? Does it have any problems with gaming such as lag or dropped key strokes?
I like it well enough for general use but I use a Saitek Eclipse keyboard and a MX510 mouse (both corded) on my game box so I can't comment on game performance with the LX700.
Old 11-27-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blake, This deal might interest you. The 4000 keyboard with mouse for $40. It's OEM so you have to purchase it with "hardware", ie some filler.
Old 11-27-05, 02:45 AM

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/
Old 11-27-05, 02:59 AM

Slight hijack... but do any of these keyboards have sprung keys? I've been looking to replace my old sprung ibm for a while. I type hard and fast and tend to destroy newer keyboards in a matter of weeks.
Old 11-27-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ZakVTA
I think that's more a concept than an actual product at this time. I also highly doubth the creators estimated $200 price tag. www.unitedkeys.com has a similar board available for preorder, with lower resolution monochrome elements, and only on the function keys for $200.

Nighthawk,
All keys are sprung, but do you mean the old IBM style "buckling spring" type? I don't think many modern keyboards use that method, some specialty or retro design makers might. Here's a site about your options .