Reload this Page >

Sending laptop for repair, question for when I get it back

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-14-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I accidentally dropped my laptop and the screen is messed up. I originally purchased an extended warranty from CompUSA (only warranty I've ever purchsed and I'm so glad I'm actually going to use it). I brought it in to my local CompUSA and they sent it to their "site" for a screen replacement. I pulled my HD before I left my laptop with them.

My question is this: how can I make sure that I've got all my original parts instead of generic knockoffs when I get it back "fixed"? Eg the memory size/maker, processor, video/audio cards, etc. I'm probably being paranoid, but better safe than sorry. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most equipment is likely built onto the motherboard such as video and audio. YOu can easily open the compartment and see what type of memory you have. I don't think they would mess with your processor. Keep in mind they are likely to replace your screen with a refurb. This is very common for laptop makers to do such as Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. It is totally legit and discussed in their warranty. It could even have a few dead/stuck pixels.

At least you know they won't mess with your hard drive!
Old 11-14-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

umm, okay so most things are stuck to the motherboard and they can't mess with it...with the exception of memory and processor. so my question is still - how do i know i wasn't taken? i'd have to physically open it to check? I can't boot up the computer and check somehow? Its an HP Pavilion by the way, if that matters.

if i get a new screen with dead/stuck pixels, then that's just silly cause my old screen didn't have any dead/stuck pixels, just a part where the contrast/color is a bit off/altered due to the damage.
Old 11-14-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Download Everest Home from www.lavalys.com. Run an "all pages" report and save it, as it will give you a system breakdown including makes and model #'s of memory, processors etc.
Old 11-15-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

matome, thanks for the links and suggestions. i should have done that before i sent my laptop away. is there anything i can do before i bring it home to confirm the parts that are inside my laptop? i have a feeling that they may say i did this or that if i find something amiss after i take it home.
Old 11-15-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I didn't realize you had already dropped it off. What make laptop is it? A lot of the manufacturers can give you your system specs online by punching in your serial # or service tag (if you happen to have it in this case).
Old 11-15-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its an HP Pavilion 5700.

I can certainly call up the manufacturer and have them give me the specs. that would give me something to compare to. when the guy hands me my laptop over the counter when I go to pick it up, how do I compare what is on the list with what is actually inside my laptop BEFORE I go home?
Old 11-15-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the only thing that will be easily accessible to you will be the memory and maybe the internal wireless card. It's not feasible to take apart the laptop to see the CPU and video card. I did it with my Dell 9300 to upgrade the CPU and it was a total dis-assembly with little screws and plates all over the place.

Maybe take a thumbdrive with the Everest program on there and install and run it at the store. That may be your best bet. I really don't think they would have the balls to do a parts swap.
Old 11-15-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

has anyone actually heard of the repair depot sending back laptops with different spec parts than were originally in there?
Old 11-15-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I think when I worked at sony they sent one back with the wrong HD
Old 11-18-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I knew I had a bad feeling about it.

So I went to pick up my laptop today after being "fixed". They asked me to sign this paper that says what they did to it and that I am taking it back. It says "SERVICE CENTER REPLACED THE SYSTEMBOARD..." This is on the same ticket as the "Problem Description" where it says "screen is defective on lower left hand side..."

When I complained that they shouldn't have taken out my motherboard and probably replaced it with a refurbished one, the manager called the repair center and they supposedly didn't actually replace the board but just "fixed" the A/C adapter plug on the board cause it was "loose" and they put down that they replaced the board for insurance purposes.

All this and my screen is still not fixed! I have to take it back when they get the parts in. I have a strong suspicion that they probably didn't replace the system board but actually ordered a new one and are probably selling it for profit or something.