Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Program/Utility to run on a comp to show current hardware config?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-06-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be going home during Thanksgiving and have some extra hardware (RAM, processor, vid card) that I may want to install in my dad's comp... Is there a program that he can run that will create some sort of log file that will shows what he currently has i.e. current processor, ram, pci slots, etc

I know he could probably take a look at the system stuff under My Computer-->Properties and take a sceenshot, but a small app/utility might be easier... Any suggestions?
Old 11-06-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lavalys Everest
Old 11-06-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nice.. i'll give it a try..
Old 11-06-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For built in windows utilities you can go from the Start menu under Accessories/System run System information then select File->Save... This will save a .nfo file, which you can open with sysinfo on your own computer. The resulting file is aroud 1 MB and contains alot more info than just hardware.

Another option is to run "dxdiag" (DirectX diagnostic) from the run prompt and click the "save information" button, this will give you similiar hardware info in a simple 50kb txt log file.

Still I don't think either is detailed enough to tell you, for example 2 stick of 512DDR ram in slot 1, Slot 2 and 3 empty, how many empty PCI slots, etc.
Old 11-07-05, 06:28 PM

I have used Belarc it is really simple, and it lists hardware installed along with software and windows updates that are installed, a quick way to find out what you have.