Reload this Page >

Registering Domain Names?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-31-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, i'm starting a business and i have a few domain names i'd like to register online. i've been doing some research.. i want to register both .com and .cz (czech republic) names.

i looked at icann's site and i looked at verisign's site and they both mention registrars. and i've, of course, encountered any number of registrar websites when randomly typing in a name and finding that it doesn't exist or hasn't been bought officially yet...

anyway, what it boils down to is: do i have to go through a registrar? if so, does anybody have one to recommend? i suppose this is a question i could pose directly to geoff... but i like hearing the diversity or replies that comes with posting publicly.

so, anyway, explain domain name registration to stupid layman me. and recommend registrars.

thanks!
-di doctor-
Old 10-31-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.godaddy.com
Old 10-31-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just use GoDaddy. Do be warned though: They will try to upsell you on a wide variety of other services that you don't really need. For .cz hosting, check some of the laws. I know in some countries you have to have a physical location in the country before you can buy that domain.

Another option, if you've not yet gotten a host, is to go through a host (like www.nexpoint.net) that will let you register a domain for free with each new account.

Full disclosure: I use and recommend GoDaddy and Nexpoint for my clients.
Old 10-31-05, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Godaddy has a horrible reputation and many have had nightmare experiences. Most I know use http://www.namecheap.com.
Old 10-31-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

www.domainrack.com
Old 11-01-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ovid
Godaddy has a horrible reputation and many have had nightmare experiences.

Nightmare experiences with domain registrations? Do you have any links? Not that I don't believe you, but out of curiosity...
Old 11-02-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

any further suggestions? cuz the competition so far is godaddy and domainrack with little to no explanation as to why i should choose one over the other. as i said, i've been over at ICANN's website and their list of registrars is enormous, so any further discussion would be helpful. i'm only a few weeks away from registering the names, if not less.

thanks for the suggestions so far!
-di doctor-
Old 11-02-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use GoDaddy and I've had no real problems. Then my page is as basic as can be right now and I don't take advantage of many options they offer.

GoDaddy will send you all kinds of offers and crap via e-mail but that is the only problem I've ever had with them.
Old 11-02-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
don't use directnic

biggest scam artists out there
Old 11-02-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Godaddy has a horrible reputation and many have had nightmare experiences. Most I know use http://www.namecheap.com.
so what are the problems with godaddy?
Old 11-02-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
any further suggestions? cuz the competition so far is godaddy and domainrack with little to no explanation as to why i should choose one over the other. as i said, i've been over at ICANN's website and their list of registrars is enormous, so any further discussion would be helpful. i'm only a few weeks away from registering the names, if not less.

thanks for the suggestions so far!
-di doctor-

I would go with GoDaddy.com. I have a total of 12 domains registered with them (7 directly and 5 transferred in). I have not experienced any problems or troubles. I have never dealt with their customer service because everything has gone smoothly for me. I also do not use them for hosting so I cannot tell you about that. I only use them as a domain registrar.

Concerning their upsell techniques. While it is true, they also plainly make options such as, "I am not interested, proceed directly to checkout" available for you to choose. Nothing is there to dupe you into spending more.

Concerning their e-mails, they do send a bit more than usual, but I don't think it is near spam levels. They often run pretty good sales (I believe there is one going on right now for $6.95 registrations/transfers). Everything else, like their newsletters, are periodic and can be easily deleted without much difficulty.
Old 11-02-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's probably on their web page, but here is the e-mail I got a couple days ago. I don't know when it expires.

$6.95 Domain Name registrations and transfers - No Qty Limit

Dear yashan,

When the other guys put their Domain Names on sale, there's usually a catch...

When WE put the domains you want on sale for $6.95/year*, there are NO STRINGS ATTACHED! That's right; grab your favorite .COM, .NET, .ORG, .US, .BIZ, .NAME, .INFO and .WS now and your new registration or transfer is just $6.95.

Regular Price NOW JUST YOU SAVE!
.com* $8.95 $6.95 22%
.net* $8.95 $6.95 22%
.org* $8.95 $6.95 22%
.us $8.95 $6.95 22%
.biz* $8.95 $6.95 22%
.name* $9.95 $6.95 30%
.info* $9.95 $6.95 30%
.ws $9.95 $6.95 30%

Unlike SOME registrars, this offer is NOT restricted to NEW customers. We know who got us here -- it's loyal Go Daddy(R) customers like you who helped make us the #1 registrar worldwide. You deserve the best deals we've got to offer!

And unlike SOME registrars, there's no limit to the number of new .COM, .NET,
.ORG, .US, .BIZ, .NAME, .INFO and .WS domains you can register or transfer for just $6.95/year! Get as many as you want, right now, and save up to 30%!

Best of all, EVERY domain you register or transfer comes loaded with a host of
extras, including: NEW! Complete Email ($9.95 value); Starter Web Page; "For
Sale" Page; Free Parked Page; Getting Started Guide; and MUCH, MUCH MORE!

So what are you waiting for? This incredible sale begins TODAY -- so act now!

Thanks as always for being a Go Daddy customer.

Sincerely,
Bob Parsons
President
GoDaddy.com(R)

Prefer to order by phone? Call 480-505-8821 to speak to a representative. Use offer code gdg103130 when you order!
Old 11-04-05, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by yashan
Nightmare experiences with domain registrations? Do you have any links? Not that I don't believe you, but out of curiosity...
The best place to look up hosting related stuff is at www.webhostingtalk.com. You can search for Godaddy and I'm sure you will come up with some stuff. A lot of people suggest to never register domains, just in general, with companies that provide web hosting as well. Some of the "nightmare" experiences have been that Godaddy will not release your domain to you if you wish to change registars, or at least they make you walk through hell. They also have it in their TOS that they can suspend your account if they recieve a complaint. So there have been cases where they shut down as your DNS and hold you domain hostage.

I'm sure there are many, many more problemless cases, but personally there is no way I would deal with a company that is known to hold your property hostage in order to make more money. Even if just for principle.
Old 11-04-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Yeah, that seems a little questionable. I've done business with www.inexpensivedomains.com which has been absolutely great with me over the last 4 years.
Old 11-04-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of people suggest to never register domains, just in general, with companies that provide web hosting as well.
Thanks. I'll take a look at that site.

I always heard the rule was never register your domain with the same company that will host it, not any company that provides hosting.

Not only does it protect you from the company turning on you down the road, but it also splits your "risk" should any account information get compromised or your site (domain or files) simply hijacked. You can limit potential damage if your registration and hosting is split between two different companies.

So back to the OP, I would still not hesitate to register my domain with GoDaddy.com. That's what you originally asked. As for where to host, that is a different thread. I would find a company that only hosts web sites. Their focus won't be divided. my eyes, GoDaddy.com is a domain registrar first, and hosting company, a distant second.