Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Two random iTunes related questions. One for PC, the other for Macs.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-28-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, the Mac.

At the radio station I DJ at, they have a Mac with OS X 10.2.8. AFAIRead, this is an ancient version. If they were to upgrade, how hard/involved would it be/get? I say this because the Mac occasionally has problems recognizing my iPod [or takes forever doing it], doesn't recognize the DJ's that comes after me and is just a general pain in the ass.

Second, my PC.

A couple times after starting iTunes, i've gotten this error:

Now, after getting it, I figured what the hell, i'll upgrade to iTunes 6 [since I had every intention of sticking with 5.9]. However, it didn't fix it. I still get the error message BUT it still boots up and runs like it should. What is vafxu.dll and where can I get it?
Old 10-28-05, 03:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OS 10.3 from $48, Other World Computing (I've bought from them before...they've always been reliable):

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/osx-c...ware-and-more/

If you want the latest (10.4 "Tiger") might as well buy it straight from Apple.com ($99). Educational pricing on it is $69, but you have to work for a school, or be enrolled in college for that price.

Sorry I can't help with the PC problem...sounds like something to do with Quicktime, but I'm not positive on that.
Old 10-28-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by parker63
OS 10.3 from $48, Other World Computing (I've bought from them before...they've always been reliable):

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/osx-c...ware-and-more/

If you want the latest (10.4 "Tiger") might as well buy it straight from Apple.com ($99). Educational pricing on it is $69, but you have to work for a school, or be enrolled in college for that price.
ah. So it's something you have to pay for. I foolishly thought it was something as simple as going to Apple's website and clicking on an update. Shows what I know. No wonder they're dragging their asses in fixing it..

thanks Parker!

Now about that PC problem..
Old 10-31-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Anyone?....Anyone?
Old 10-31-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you get that error message but iTunes still works okay? Don't question it.
Old 10-31-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ah. So it's something you have to pay for. I foolishly thought it was something as simple as going to Apple's website and clicking on an update. Shows what I know. No wonder they're dragging their asses in fixing it..

thanks Parker!

By the way, 10.2.8 should work perfectly fine with an iPod. It should just sync right up. Perhaps the iPod has some new software update which is incompatible with the version of iTunes? I assume you used it another machine and ran the updaters on it. I'd update iTunes on the Mac, but you probably need a newer version of OS X. Catch 22 I guess.

I assume you are connecting it to the Mac via its Firewire connector.
Old 11-01-05, 08:11 AM

You can run into serious problems if you try to update a PC-formatted iPod on a Mac (and vice versa I believe)
Old 11-01-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 452 Likes on 322 Posts

thanks Parker!

Well iTunes updates are free. Not sure what the max version you can use with 10.2.8.

OSX updates cost for the 10.x version. all the 10.x.x versions are free.
Old 06-09-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 319 Likes on 231 Posts
Bumping this one up. I'm getting the exact same error on my PC. It comes up three times before iTunes or Quicktime actually starts. Anyone know what it is?
Old 06-09-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

wow.

almost a year later and that shitty Mac at the radio station forced me to reformat my iPod after thinking that it had erased all 14,000 songs (not to mention it's still at OSX 10.2.8 even after being promised all last year that it'd be updated..).

and I must've formatted my desktop at least five times since, so I no longer have the problem.

but i'll admit it was a pain in the ass..